FC: 8
CC: 0
PH: 7.5
CH: 225
TA: 50
CYA: 60
Temp: 82

CSI -0.49

I am *slightly* concerned with the CSI. Currently PH is relatively stable and only have to add acid once every couple of weeks so far. Goal is to bring up CH to 250 and *maybe* TA to 70 but slightly concerned on the PH increasing too much with increased TA. Thoughts/opinions?

Yep, raise your CH and skip the acid next time. Let your pH rise up to more like 7.7/7.8 and the TA will probably take care of itself.

Our range for TA starts at 60 but some people have success at 50, so I'd be reluctant to raise it as well.

OK, so added 4 lbs of calcium chloride and 2 pounds of baking soda. Results this AM are now:

FC: 8
CC: 0
PH: 7.2
CH: 225
TA: 70
CYA: 60
Temp: 82

CSI -0.55

I am confused as to the PH drop and the CH not moving (TA did come up though)? I don't think I am doing the tests incorrectly since I have had lots of practice and follow the TFP directions explicitly and have done the PH/CH/TA tests twice each to verify my results. It does appear that if I leave it alone, the inevitable PH increase will bring the CSI more into range. Thoughts?

Looks like 2 lbs of baking soda in 14000 gallons will only raise TA by 10. That's one drop. So it's well within the tolerance of the test.

The ph is a puzzler. Any chance you have an autofill and added some acidic water unknowingly?

You are correct: as pH climbs, CSI will improve.

The ph is a puzzler. Any chance you have an autofill and added some acidic water unknowingly?

No autofill and no water introduced between adding/testing the chemicals. I will test a little later and try a different reagent just to see if it comes out different.

One possibility is to try a triple rinse of the test tubes between tests. I used to get stuff sticking to the sides which affects the next test. I collect a quart of pool water and use it for testing and rinsing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.