Suggestions on How to Fix Leaky Pipe Connected to Filter

Foody

Jun 16, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Pump1.jpgPump2.jpg

Hello All,

So the leaking locations are marked in red. Basically it's leaking in between where the 1.5" pipe connects to the bushing (2" x 1-1/2"). I does not appear to be leaking between the bushings and the valve outlets.

QUESTIONS:
1.) Is there a way to remove the bushings from the "micro-clear slide valve" to avoid buying a new valve? I've seen the heat gun method, but not sure if that would ruin the black plastic valve.

2.) How would you suggest fixing this? This set up done by the previous home owner and he told me he replaced the slide valve right before he sold to me to fix the exact same leak. The thing is, there was a small leak right after the fix already. Now it's just gotten much worse and needs to be fixed properly. So is this just a bad set up going into the filter or he just did a poor job, twice?

Thanks!!

That is a lazy hack job. The "bushing" with a 1.5" pipe in it is the wrong method.

A 2" pipe should have been glued directly into the backwash valve and then a coupler used to tie the 2" pipe into the other side 2" pipe.

The problem is the pipe on the left has glue all over it. So you need to go back to where you have a clean pipe that a coupler will slip over and replumb from there with straight pipe into the backwash valve.

Reactions: Bperry
That is a lazy hack job. The "bushing" with a 1.5" pipe in it is the wrong method.

A 2" pipe should have been glued directly into the backwash valve and then a coupler used to tie the 2" pipe into the other side 2" pipe.

The problem is the pipe on the left has glue all over it. So you need to go back to where you have a clean pipe that a coupler will slip over and replumb from there with straight pipe into the backwash valve.

The problem is that the pipe returning the water to the pool is 1.5" (the vertical pipe). So that is probably why they used the bushing to reduce it from 2" to 1.5" coming out of the valve.

Is it OK to use a 2" pipe directly out of the valve and back to 1.5" to the return?

Also, any thoughts on heat gun method to remove the bushing reducers from the valve?

thanks

The problem is that the pipe returning the water to the pool is 1.5" (the vertical pipe). So that is probably why they used the bushing to reduce it from 2" to 1.5" coming out of the valve.

One has nothing to do with the other. Use a 2" pipe out from the slider valve until you couple it to the 1.5" vertical pipe.

Is it OK to use a 2" pipe directly out of the valve and back to 1.5" to the return?

Yup.

Also, any thoughts on heat gun method to remove the bushing reducers from the valve?

Give it a try. Worst case you end up buying a new slider valve anyway.

You can also try using a hub saver in a drill as described in...

View attachment 467873View attachment 467875

Hello All,

So the leaking locations are marked in red. Basically it's leaking in between where the 1.5" pipe connects to the bushing (2" x 1-1/2"). I does not appear to be leaking between the bushings and the valve outlets.

QUESTIONS:
1.) Is there a way to remove the bushings from the "micro-clear slide valve" to avoid buying a new valve? I've seen the heat gun method, but not sure if that would ruin the black plastic valve.

2.) How would you suggest fixing this? This set up done by the previous home owner and he told me he replaced the slide valve right before he sold to me to fix the exact same leak. The thing is, there was a small leak right after the fix already. Now it's just gotten much worse and needs to be fixed properly. So is this just a bad set up going into the filter or he just did a poor job, twice?

Thanks!!
That is a pretty bad hack. Whenever I’m buying something the current owner says he “just fixed” I assume I’ll have to replace it correctly if I end up buying it.

One has nothing to do with the other. Use a 2" pipe out from the slider valve until you couple it to the 1.5" vertical pipe.

Is it OK to use 2" pipe all the way to the filter inlet side while the return outlet side has to eventually go back to 1.5"?

I'm not sure if 2" inlet and then the outlet goes to 1.5" would mess things up.

Is it OK to use 2" pipe all the way to the filter inlet side while the return outlet side has to eventually go back to 1.5"?

I'm not sure if 2" inlet and then the outlet goes to 1.5" would mess things up.

Yes, it is fine mixing 2" and 1.5" pipe where necessary.

That's not a new slide valve.

In any case, I would probably replace the whole filter with a CCP420 and eliminate the valve.

Oh, this valve is not new anymore. It was a few years ago and the leak just got out of hand recently. I can I guess, but not looking to spend all that money right now. Just trying to fix the leak properly first.

So just trying to figure out the best way to set up the pipes given this valve and how the return outlet is 1.5".
Should I go 2" from the pump all the way to the valve even though the outlet has to be reduced to 1.5"? Right now it's set up to reduce to 1.5" from the pump going into the filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So just trying to figure out the best way to set up the pipes given this valve and how the return outlet is 1.5".
Should I go 2" from the pump all the way to the valve even though the outlet has to be reduced to 1.5"? Right now it's set up to reduce to 1.5" from the pump going into the filter.

Cut at the red lines.

Do 2" pipe from red line to slider valve.

Use slip couplers and reduce from 2" to the 1.5" return pipe.

Pump1.jpg

Cut at the red lines.

Do 2" pipe from red line to slider valve.

Use slip couplers and reduce from 2" to the 1.5" return pipe.

View attachment 468019
Yea, looks like it's going to be a combination of couplers. Is there any benefit to use a non threaded slip union between the 2" pipe going horizontally into the inlet valve from the pump? I see a lot of people pushing unions. Not sure exactly when to use it for real benefit.

thanks

Yea, looks like it's going to be a combination of couplers. Is there any benefit to use a non threaded slip union between the 2" pipe going horizontally into the inlet valve from the pump? I see a lot of people pushing unions. Not sure exactly when to use it for real benefit.

thanks

No advantage to putting in unions for your setup. You have unions on the other side of the slider valve if you need to disconnect your filter.

Keep it simple.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.