Suggestions on how to cut deck boards

Jun 3, 2014
Hollidaysburg, PA
I am trying to figure out the best way to cut my deck boards so they line up with the edge of the pool wall. In Hindsight I should of marked each one on the bottom, cut then flipped. Since I am past that point I am looking for some suggestions. I was thinking about having my wife stand in the middle with a rod with string attached and then mark side to side, then draw a line on the deck boards. But there is a little bit of human error involved there.

Pics
46ED60B8-C563-45C9-A262-FF1C1D421E0D.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

EAEB478C-D4FC-42A5-9BFE-CC03F6BEFFE6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Time for some breakfast. Thanks in advance.

Yes, I think that is best. Maybe have her hold a deckboard cut to the radius of the pool against the framing for her to hold to help keep the string in the right spot. Since you only get one chance! Good luck!

#1 would be unscrew the boards and make the cuts. That's your highest likelihood for success. ;)

#2 if this is a true circular pool, then you could use a string from the exact center of the pool. This would be the same as using a compass (the two point kind, not the directional kind). Put a pencil and a string level on the end of the string and mark the curve. This method has some potential for error, depending on where center truly is and any slope.

#3 would be to attach craft paper or similar to the underside of the boards and transfer the pattern of the pool. This has some potential for error. Attach a pencil to the interior of a 1" PVC pipe. Run the pipe along the interior of the pool surround to transfer the pattern with the pencil. Remove the paper and invert to make your cuts. Again, this method has some potential for error.

Also, if you want to "bend" your boards around the perimeter of the pool rather than using smaller straight boards as you did on the upper deck, set your saw depth to 50-60% of the wood height and make a large number of cuts along the backside! every 1"-2". This will allow the board to bend but still have enough rigidity to serve as your fascia and you'll have one long board with the right bends rather than 5-6 short boards. For more info, google KERF CUTS.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I could probably tie a could strings together, then in the middle should cold stand with a piece of rebar where the strings intersect...

While I was at breakfast, I was thinking about this again. I wonder if I could make something up like a big C. The top of the C would hold a pencil, the bottom of the C I could run along the inside of the pool. humm.

If you can see down between the boards, then you should be able to use a pencil and strike an arc across each board to make cut-off lines that will leave you a few inches of board overhang. Then make the first cut(s) with a jig saw (or a sawzall if you're good with one) to remove the long ends.

Then, make a jig to slide along the inside edge of the top of the pool wall under the rough cut edge of the deck boards. Make this jig the length of the amount of deck board overhang you want, then attach a pencil to it and slide it around the pool wall so you will get an exact copy of the arc transcribed onto the top of the boards.

Then make you final cuts nice and slow, file your edge a little, and you're done.

If you can see down between the boards, then you should be able to use a pencil and strike an arc across each board to make cut-off lines that will leave you a few inches of board overhang. Then make the first cut(s) with a jig saw (or a sawzall if you're good with one) to remove the long ends.

Then, make a jig to slide along the inside edge of the top of the pool wall under the rough cut edge of the deck boards. Make this jig the length of the amount of deck board overhang you want, then attach a pencil to it and slide it around the pool wall so you will get an exact copy of the arc transcribed onto the top of the boards.

Then make you final cuts nice and slow, file your edge a little, and you're done.

I I think I like this method.

I grabbed a sheet of cardboard before I left work and went to an open end of the pool and taped it to the pool edge and traced a line on the cardboard. I cut it along the line, and took it to the deck. I traced the line three times, I am able to see down between a few of the deck boards. So I lined it up and drew my line. I didn't cut anything tonight. Wanted to think about it some more to see if there was a way to make it a little more precise. Plus the old adage of measure twice, cut once.

- - - Updated - - -

After I get it cut, I was thinking about using the router to put a little round edge on the top of the deck board.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So what you are saying is stand in the pool and run the router upside down along the pool coping?

No, you would run the router from the top after you rough cut the boards a little long. The pattern bit will follow any "pattern" including your pool trim. If you already have a router, this will give you perfect results, assuming you want the boards flush with the trim. This method will not work if you want the boards to overhang the trim.

No, you would run the router from the top after you rough cut the boards a little long. The pattern bit will follow any "pattern" including your pool trim. If you already have a router, this will give you perfect results, assuming you want the boards flush with the trim. This method will not work if you want the boards to overhang the trim.

If he wants the boards to overhang the trim, he could always screw a strip of luan (or those plastic lattice strips work well, and are a lot cheaper) onto the facia, let the bearing on the bit run on that, and then remove the luan afterwards.

I agree, the best way to make this look good is to cut the boards a bit long with a jigsaw, then do the final pass with a pattern bit in a router (the clean all of the sawdust out of your pool)

-dave

Yes, not matter how you do it, be ready for sawdust everywhere!

You're idea of using the traced-curve cardboard piece(s) to transcribe the pool wall arc onto the boards you will be cutting seems about the easiest. Any small differences in the curve's radius (because every pool is not EXACTLY round) won't be noticeable because you're boards are overhanging the wall a little bit, too.

Routing the curved edges after making your cuts will leave it looking nice, too.

Get 'er done!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.