Suggestions for SWG generators- Start from scratch or just replace cell on Saltron

cfclay

Apr 24, 2010
Lexington,Ky
I have this. Saltron Retro DIY Chlorine Generator. It worked well for two years. Replacement cells are $300-$350. It worked perfectly, no issues. Surely it is only the cell that needs to be replaced. It generates some chlorine it would appear- but not enough. I would like to keep my expenditures to under $500-600; especially if something else recommended just does the same thing. Thank you in advance, love this forum.

You won't find any other solutions for less than $500. If two years worth of chlorine is worth $350 to you, then it's a good value. One issue with that chlorinator, it's too small for your pool. The 20,000-gallon rating is based on running the system 24/7.

TFP recommends SWG rated for twice the pool volume. A 40K system should last you around five years and cost an excess of $1,000.

I had the swg linked below. It worked well for three years. I swapped it out to a different system because the cell design didn't work well while running the VS at low speeds. If it's still available, it is a good value at $625. I haven't seen any other similar systems price this low.

The Calimar system is a rebranded SGS Wave. SGS went out of business and was taken over by CMP (Custom Molded Products). They no longer produce this unit, but still provide cell replacements.

I'm not giving it's a strong recommendation, but it is a 40000 gallon unit close to your price range.

You won't find any other solutions for less than $500. If two years worth of chlorine is worth $350 to you, then it's a good value. One issue with that chlorinator, it's too small for your pool. The 20,000-gallon rating is based on running the system 24/7.

TFP recommends SWG rated for twice the pool volume. A 40K system should last you around five years and cost an excess of $1,000.
Running 24/7 is exactly what I was doing, it worked well. I don't have to run my equipment like that- but it seemed like an OK tradeoff. Nice fountain, clean pool, etc. I do have a question for this group though- based on this calculation - How Much Does My Pool Pump Cost to Run? - INYOPools.com - DIY Resources

Is this stating that it would cost someone roughly $5.00+ per day to run a 1.5 hp pump at roughly $.10 per kilowatt? HAVE MERCY! I did have a utility co-op look at my pump when I lived in Arkansas and we determined it was only about $25 a month to run it. Different equipment- but wow. If this is the case, I should consider the long - term cost of equipment vs. electricity use. My wife likes it ice cold inside and I thought that was most of my usage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
I should consider the long - term cost of equipment vs. electricity use.
Your pump runs at 3450 rpm. VS pumps are capable of running at lower speeds which results in significantly less operating costs.

Here's a chart for a 3.0 HP VS pump. Note the non-linear increase of power use [(kilowatts)] as RPMs increase.

1649961299721.png

Last edited:
Single speed pumps run at full RPM. Just a rough estimate, but figure your pump is running at 1500 watts. That's 1.5 Kilowatts Per Hour (kWh). Multiply that by 24 hours, your runtime, and you consume 36 kWh per day. Multiply that by your energy cost per kWh and you have your daily cost. If .10 cents, that's $3.60 per day or $108 per/month.

Someone may be able to get you actual running watts if you post a pic of your label.

Reactions: cfclay
Single speed pumps run at full RPM. Just a rough estimate, but figure your pump is running at 1500 watts. That's 1.5 Kilowatts Per Hour (kWh). Multiply that by 24 hours, your runtime, and you consume 36 kWh per day. Multiply that by your energy cost per kWh and you have your daily cost. If .10 cents, that's $3.60 per day or $108 per/month.

Someone may be able to get you actual running watts if you post a pic of your label.
Here you go. Appreciate any tips. I've found a couple of sources that state that 1 HP 747 watts: is Energy Units and Conversions. Would the calculation be that simple? (1.5 x 747)/1000 ... then X 24 hrs X 30 days? If so that's roughly 27ish KW per day. That's up there; but not as bad as I originally thought.

Attachments

• 3AA52184-FD53-41B4-BB94-6FBF8EB958DA.jpeg
    3AA52184-FD53-41B4-BB94-6FBF8EB958DA.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Here you go. Appreciate any tips. I've found a couple of sources that state that 1 HP 747 watts: is Energy Units and Conversions. Would the calculation be that simple? (1.5 x 747)/1000 ... then X 24 hrs X 30 days? If so that's roughly 27ish KW per day. That's up there; but not as bad as I originally thought.
Yes, I think your numbers are close.

Voltage X Amps ≈ Watts. For your motor, that's 1437 watts. So figure 1.437 kilowatts per hour, roughly 34 kilowatts per day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.