Sugar Land TX, New Pool Build - looking for suggestions

Got my first quote for my PB builder (small shop). He did my friend's pool back in 2003 so I know he is reputable.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Quote $65K, I did have him agree to increase the size to 18' x 35' for the same price, waiting on updated proposal.

Also would the 5' x 10' tanning ledge ok to put 2 ledge loungers? Thanks.

Pool size:
Perimeter 89’
Width & Length 18’ x 30’ (size changed to 22' x 38')
Depth 4’ x 6’ x 4’
Area 380 sq. ft.
Volume 13,280 gallons

Reinforcing:
#3 bars 8” x 8” o.c. both ways on floor and wall
Additional #3 bars 4”x 8” o.c. as required on all major stress areas
(4) #4 bars continuous in 12” x 14” Bond Beam

Gunite:
6 sack mix- 4000 psi pneumatically applied

Coping:
3cm travertine paver

Waterline Tile:
6” Standard

Plaster:
Cool Blue (Pebble Sheen)

Equipment:
Hayward variable speed pump
Hayward Omni Logic remote system; Iphone, Ipad & Android compatible
Hayward cartridge 425 sq. ft. filter
Hayward 400,000 btu heater w/ gas hookup
Unlimited gas line run from meter to heater
Rainbow 320 chlorinator
(1) Color Logic LED pool light
(1) Color Logic LED spa light
Silencer 1.5 hp Blower
Polaris 280 automatic pool cleaner w/ ¾ hp pump
2 Skimmers
4 main drains in pool with antivortex covers

Plumbing:
Unlimited plumbing run from equipment to skimmer
All pool piping will be sch. 40 PVC
Separate main drain line and Skimmer lines with valving
¾” PVC fill line w/ valve anti-siphon
Overflow line

Electrical:
Includes unlimited electrical run from circuit breaker box to equipment location
Hookup of all pool equipment, lights and light switches
Grounding and G.F.I included
Sub panel included—if needed

Deck:
585 sq. ft. of Spray Deck

Spa:
7’ Circular
Raised 12”
6’ Spillway with 6” x 6” waterline tile
6” waterline tile on outside of spa
6 jets
Color Logic LED spa light
Silencer 1.5 hp Blower

Miscellaneous:
Spa Raised 12” faced with waterline tile
5' x 10' Tanning ledge with steps extending out from ledge
(2) Benches, one on each side of pool in the deep part
Umbrella hole on tanning ledge
Take down fence for excavation/put back up
Maintenance kit included; brush, leaf net, telescope pole & test kit
StartUp chemical dosage and pool operation instruction included

Attachments

• REDRAW.jpg
    REDRAW.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    622.4 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Reactions: Jmerges
Welcome to TFP! :wave: I only have a couple comments about your list:
- Consider replacing the Rainbow 320 with a salt water generator. Tabs are only good for short-term use and will increase your CYA too high/fast.
- If you are a Polaris fan - fine. Many are skipping those for robots that are powered independently. Personal choice though.

Good luck on your build!

Reactions: revstrikerTX
Great looking design.
Several things to consider based on what I have learned and read on the forum
  • Excellent that you have 2 skimmers and it appears the PB indicates that they are independently plumbed back to the equipment pad and will have a valve to control each. Request a plumbing diagram to confirm that.
  • Also ask if you will have 2" PVC sch 40 on the suction lines and 1 1/2" PVC on return lines. That is minimum requirements, IMO.
  • Also ask how the overflow will work from spa to pool. Will it be a separate control (turn or or off) or permanent. Mine is permanently plumbed like that and I wish I could turn it off or on at times. Both this and the PVC sizes should be shown in plumbing diagram.
  • It indicates 4 main drains which is 2 for pool and 2 for the spa. You may want to consider requesting a channel drain to replace those as it lays flat on the bottom thus nothing to stub your toe on and also better if you do elect to go with a robot cleaner.
  • With regard to the cleaner, I have a Polaris 280 and like it but that is what I inherited with the house/pool. I have considered a robot cleaner but as of yet not took that next step. I have read that some with free form pools (such as yours and mine) that a robot cleaner does not clean as efficiently. I have nothing to base that on other then some comments. For $600-$900 it may be worth considering the robot over the addition of a booster pump, extra plumbing + the cleaner itself. All you need is a GFCI socket near the pool (within code of course)
  • Put a light over your equipment pad and space out the equipment on a nice size pad for easy future maintenance

Good Luck and keep us posted. .

• With regard to the cleaner, I have a Polaris 280 and like it but that is what I inherited with the house/pool. I have considered a robot cleaner but as of yet not took that next step. I have read that some with free form pools (such as yours and mine) that a robot cleaner does not clean as efficiently. I have nothing to base that on other then some comments. For $600-$900 it may be worth considering the robot over the addition of a booster pump, extra plumbing + the cleaner itself. All you need is a GFCI socket near the pool (within code of course)
Thank You Herman, surely appreciate it. I am a novice so your tips are greatly appreciated. I have also seen that most members recommend robot cleaners and was not aware of the performance in free form pools, Ill check it out.
- Consider replacing the Rainbow 320 with a salt water generator. Tabs are only good for short-term use and will increase your CYA too high/fast.
- If you are a Polaris fan - fine. Many are skipping those for robots that are powered independently. Personal choice though.

Good luck on your build!
Thank You, my PB also doesn't recommend the SWG's but will ask, If not the I may do it in the future.

Our pool was designed and built last year and due to COVID there were many delays. You mentioned using a small company pool builder -- I don't know if small means a two man job which could take months. Whether that's the case or not, be aware your build will take longer than expected. It's a sad fact of life. Our pool was finished early February and we're still waiting on a part for our pool equipment. That February freeze made supply and demand even worse!

I didn't take the time to read thru your details but since we lived in Katy for almost 20 years and know how hot it gets down there -- Look into getting a chiller.

Looks good but see about getting a couple more lights and a robot IMO is better then a pump assisted cleaner. I have a chlorinator too and I love it, requires basically no work to maintain. Liked it better then the swg I had on my other pool, good luck and clear water!

Our pool was designed and built last year and due to COVID there were many delays. You mentioned using a small company pool builder -- I don't know if small means a two man job which could take months. Whether that's the case or not, be aware your build will take longer than expected. It's a sad fact of life. Our pool was finished early February and we're still waiting on a part for our pool equipment. That February freeze made supply and demand even worse!

I didn't take the time to read thru your details but since we lived in Katy for almost 20 years and know how hot it gets down there -- Look into getting a chiller.
Thanks for the tip, I am still awaiting the permit from City of Sugarland, it's taking longer than expected luckily I don't have an HOA. Once that's done the dig will be soon after that. My PB assured me that the pool should be done 6-8 weeks for the pool to be built depending on weather. I also asked about the chiller and they said because of the location of the pool behind tall trees it won't get too much direct sunlight we may not need a chiller but they will install it in the future if needed.

Reactions: Mayabbot
Looks good but see about getting a couple more lights and a robot IMO is better then a pump assisted cleaner. I have a chlorinator too and I love it, requires basically no work to maintain. Liked it better then the swg I had on my other pool, good luck and clear water!
Thanks, I did ask about extra lights and PB said it wont really be beneficial and possibly cause shadowing with the extra light. I also expanded the pool to 22" x 38'.

Reactions: Mayabbot
I’m building in Dallas and that price is amazing ... but I would recommend seeing if they have the equipment or will secure it during the build.

also be careful with the payment schedule. I feel like I messed up and the builder has too much financial leverage over me.

Does your quote include any landscape or sprinkler repair ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m building in Dallas and that price is amazing ... but I would recommend seeing if they have the equipment or will secure it during the build.

also be careful with the payment schedule. I feel like I messed up and the builder has too much financial leverage over me.

Does your quote include any landscape or sprinkler repair ?
After increasing the size of the pool to 22'x38' (perimeter 103' & 550sq ft) the total increased to $71K which also included an additional 200sq ft spray deck.
I don't have any sprinklers in the backyard as it back's up to a creek and no landscaping. PB says the equip shouldn't be an issue.

That's a good price. I'm building in Sugar Land also. My dig started today actually. I don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing that we don't have permits required in Riverstone.

For the loungers on the shelf, our PB said about 5-6 is needed. If you want to do 5 then having nothing behind it is key since they kind of lean back. The main part is big enough to have it sit there but it would extend outside the coping a bit on some areas. Hope that makes sense.

Ran into that issue on our first design since our spa originally was behind our tanning shelf.

I will second @HermanTX about the Robot, I made the change literally yesterday the day before the dig to go with a Robot. After everything I read and some users here in Houston that used my same builder that said the one thing he would have changed was getting a robot instead of the other setup.

So I called and got a credit for the suction side one and will use it towards a robot.

Last edited:
I will second @HermanTX about the Robot, I made the change literally yesterday the day before the dig to go with a Robot. After everything I read and some users here in Houston that used my same builder that said the one thing he would have changed was getting a robot instead of the other setup.

So I called and got a credit for the suction side one and will use it towards a robot.
Thank You for the tip. What model of robot are you going with?

Thank You for the tip. What model of robot are you going with?

I am not sure yet. I reached out to Margret via email from a Marina pools. Apparently they are the go to in terms of pricing no tax etc. so waiting to hear back. She helps with recommendations.

I found her info in a thread in the Robot section on the forum.

I have a smaller pool so don’t think I need something too crazy.

I am not sure yet. I reached out to Margret via email from a Marina pools. Apparently they are the go to in terms of pricing no tax etc. so waiting to hear back. She helps with recommendations.

I found her info in a thread in the Robot section on the forum.

I have a smaller pool so don’t think I need something too crazy.
here is the comparison to start your review. My understanding is that the physical cleaning function are very similar so the differences are in features such as wireless, bluetooth, with a carrier or not, etc. So spending more on a higher end version does not material improve the cleaning properties.

Attachments

• Robotic-Cleaner-Comparisons-2020.pdf
    271.9 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: bs75758
here is the comparison to start your review. My understanding is that the physical cleaning function are very similar so the differences are in features such as wireless, bluetooth, with a carrier or not, etc. So spending more on a higher end version does not material improve the cleaning properties.
Thanks for that, it was really annoying (or I didn't find it) that on the manufacturers website there wasn't anything to compare like this. Had to read one, then look at other one etc. Just waiting to hear back from Margret at this point via email. But seems they get pretty busy.

After increasing the size of the pool to 22'x38' (perimeter 103' & 550sq ft) the total increased to $71K which also included an additional 200sq ft spray deck.
I don't have any sprinklers in the backyard as it back's up to a creek and no landscaping. PB says the equip shouldn't be an issue.

We are at 74K with 4500 on sprinkler repair and sod budgeted, so about the same price with a 32 x 16 with a SPA and 525sq ft concrete ... so you got a great price.

I've seen many posts where people did not get the 6' at the deep end that they were expecting. Does your PB measure depth as height to water line or to coping? How many inches over/under do they allow themselves to be off? Double check that these are spelled out since something like 5'3" water depth could be considered within specs if measured at coping with a 6" allowed margin of error.

I've seen many posts where people did not get the 6' at the deep end that they were expecting. Does your PB measure depth as height to water line or to coping? How many inches over/under do they allow themselves to be off? Double check that these are spelled out since something like 5'3" water depth could be considered within specs if measured at coping with a 6" allowed margin of error.
Good Question, I assumed it was to the waterline but will ask the PB. Thank You for the tip.

Well, our skimmers are on either end of the length. On one side the waterline is perfect. On the far side the waterline hitting the skimmer is too low. And that throws everything off because our tiled first step, which is out of the water, is now under water, just to keep the waterline level enough for the skimmers to work. And the low line skimmer is on the shallow end side.

So. Mistakes happen? I have no idea about the pool depth, but the estimated gallons was all off from the pool estimates. (11,000 was their estimate) We actually have 12,660.

Attachments

• RobotOnSteps.jpg
    RobotOnSteps.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 63

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.