Suction side leak

dphanes

Aug 19, 2020
NC
Have a very small suction side leak between PVC and Jandy valve. No air bubbles on pump when it is on but a very small leak when the pump is off.

Am thinking about putting some Oatey rain or shine PVC glue around the junction of the PVC and Jandy valve with the pump on high speed with the assumption that it sucks a bit of the glue into the small hole where the leak is coming from.

Thoughts?

That may work. Don't be stingy with the glue around the leak.

The valve will accept a fitting one size larger on the outside. If that's a 2" pipe on the inside of the valve, it will accept a 2.5" coupler. You would need to cut the PVC pipe off flush at the valve, slide the coupler over the valve, and use a 2.5" to 2" reducer bushing. You'll have to figure out how to get enough to clearance to make the connections.

Here's and example of 1.5"/2" check valve.

Check Valve.JPG

The valve will accept a fitting one size larger on the outside. If that's a 2" pipe on the inside of the valve, it will accept a 2.5" coupler. You would need to cut the PVC pipe off flush at the valve, slide the coupler over the valve, and use a 2.5" to 2" reducer bushing. You'll have to figure out how to get enough to clearance to make the connections.

Here's and example of 1.5"/2" check valve.

View attachment 331349

I am totally naive on plumbing. Today the two inch pipe fits inside the Jandy valve and is glued. How does the 2.5 inch coupler attach to the Jandy valve? Apologize if this is a dumb question.

Take a look at the photo above. The coupler slips over the outside of the valve socket (where the 2" is currently inside). I found a pic showing both inside and outside connection options.
Valve.JPG
The left side connection is made with a 2.5" coupler (outside). The right side is made with a 2" PVC pipe (inside slip).

This will allow you to salvage the valve. You have another chance at making a good connection.

Make sense?

Reactions: HermanTX
Take a look at the photo above. The coupler slips over the outside of the valve socket (where the 2" is currently inside). I found a pic showing both inside and outside connection options.
View attachment 331354
The left side connection is made with a 2.5" coupler (outside). The right side is made with a 2" PVC pipe (inside slip).

This will allow you to salvage the valve. You have another chance at making a good connection.

Make sense?
It does. I found a 2.5 to 2 inch reducer coupling. And reason I can’t simply use that.

This could be a huge help!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.