Florence, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I bought a Kreepy Krauly a couple months ago and was never able get to it to move in my pool at all. After a bunch of back and forth with Pentair, and them even sending me a new unit, we determined it's a problem with my equipment. I further checked suction with a flow meter and the KK hose and didn't even move the needle.

The pump is about a year old. I've checked the lid O-ring and sprayed it with silicone lubricant. I've tried doing the incense test for leaks around the pump but the motor creates an air current that makes it inconclusive. Also tried with soapy water and didn't find anything. In the photo you can see the air inside the lid. I've also tried pouring water over possible leak areas while it's running to see if it eliminates the air bubbles with no luck. Other ideas/suggestions?

poolpump.JPG

I've checked the lid O-ring and sprayed it with silicone lubricant.
This could be one issue. Even though you used a silicone spray, it's not the same as pool silicone that is thick and almost pasty to help seal the most tiny air gaps. If you have some pool silicone (i.e. Magic Lube), I'd try that first. Don't forget the pump drain plug(s) too.

Let us know if you still need help. Welcome! :wave:

Check your water level...make sure it's about half way between the top and bottom of the skimmer mouth. Check the flow in the skimmer. Too much suction can create an excessive turbulence that allows air enter at the skimmer. I assume you checked the pump basket for air both with and without the hose? Try isolating suction from the main drain.

Last edited:
This could be one issue. Even though you used a silicone spray, it's not the same as pool silicone that is thick and almost pasty to help seal the most tiny air gaps. If you have some pool silicone (i.e. Magic Lube), I'd try that first. Don't forget the pump drain plug(s) too.

Let us know if you still need help. Welcome! :wave:
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I do hope that's where the problem is. Can a small air leak have that much of an impact such that it causes the automatic cleaner to not move?

Check your water level...make sure it's about half way between the top and bottom of the skimmer mouth. Check the flow in the skimmer. Too much suction can create an excessive turbulence that allows air enter at the skimmer. I assume you checked the pump basket for air both with and without the hose? Try isolating suction from the main drain.

Water level is ok. If anything the skimmer suction is weak and doesn't seem to pull in as much stuff as it should. I'll see what I can do about isolating the main drain.

You would be surprised how much a tiny air leak can impact pump suction. Just imagine trying to drink from a broken straw. Once you rule out air, you might also check to ensure your cleaner didn't suck-up something and cause a partial clog. Sometimes you can confirm that if your skimmer and main drain have separate plumbing lines to the pump. Close off the skimmer and pull from the drain only and watch for a difference and visa-versa. If that's not possible, use a garden hose and push water backwards from the pump inlet back to the pool skimmer and watch to see if water comes out okay.

Looking at the photo, there appears to be perhaps a poor glue seal between the tee and the pipe on the right side. It looks like a gap a dime could fit into. I presume you've already checked that, but if you haven't...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.