Jun 11, 2018
League City, Texas
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I am trying to help a friend out with some suction issues. A few days ago she let her pump run dry for about 3-hours on accident when she was trying to drain some junk from the bottom of the spa. Wednesday everything was fine, now today, the pool is not suctioning properly. Filter PSI is normally 26psi it’s now at about 12. I assume it’s pump related but she did mention that when she shuts off the pump that some water leaks out from the bottom of this valve. As far as I know, water should never leak from a valve. Any ideas?
0DF5C9E9-B086-4A30-A5A5-B5984267E7C3.jpeg

Certainly no water should spurt-out form that 3-way valve when turned off. That's an indication of an air leak. Probably the valve o-ring or shaft i-ring require replacement. Not that bad of a task. But for the pump, 3 hours dry is a long time. I suspect it got very hot. If the motor is still moving that's good, but the pump (wet) end may have taken a hit. I would first start with the union fittings and pump basket lid. They can warp from the heat. Inspect really close or run a garden hose over those areas and watch for improvement. Next, check the impeller for movement (power OFF). While it may spin, there could still be damage you can't see, but it's a start.

Thanks TS!
I did ask if she was able to move the impeller. She said she could but it didn’t feel smooth. Is this normal?
She said the only visible leak was when she’d Darn the pump off at the bottom side of that valve. I will tell her to try to run some water over the lid basket.

It's not a perfect test, but feeling the impeller sometimes gives a clue. It should turn with the fingers, but she may feel a little resistance since it's connected to the pump shaft, so ti won't just "spin" freely like a fan blade. But sometimes we can feel junk tangled around it, can tell if it's loose, or perhaps deformed a bit in shape. Sometimes the only way to know for sure is by taking it apart to check it and the diffuser for heat damage. But I would exhaust everything above ground at the pad before doing that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.