submersible pump advice needed

gwtw

Apr 23, 2018
Kentucky
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I need to purchase a submersible pump to pump water out of my pool over the winter periodically when the water level gets close to the tile line. I've got a mesh cover that lets rain into my pool so I will probably have to pump water out several times over the winter to keep the water below the tile line. I was thinking about purchasing the "Superior Pump 1/3 HP Thermoplastic Submersible Pump" from a local store since it seems to get good reviews and only costs $52. Here is a link to the one I'm thinking about purchasing: Amazon.com: Superior Pump 91330 Utility Pump, 1/3 HP: SUPERIOR PUMP: Home Improvement.
Since the water will be extremely cold when I pump water out over the winter, I'm wondering if this will cause any problems if a use a regular submersible pump like this one. I can't use a pool cover pump since I don't have a plug nearby so I'm hoping a regular submersible pump will work. According to the information provided, it pumps up to 40 gallons/minute and it has a regular garden hose attachment. I like how inexpensive this pump is but I want to make sure it will suit my needs before I purchase it. I'm not very knowledgable about submersible pumps since I've never owned one so any advice would be appreciated.

That will work for your needs.

Do not expect to get 40gpm out of it. If you use a regular garden hose that is ~50' long you will most likely get less than 10 gpm output.

Because I tend to overbuild, and overthink, just about everything, I'd be tempted to use something like this, with an auto shutoff:

1 HP Stainless Steel Submersible Pump, Sump Pump - - Amazon.com

Instead of putting it on the bottom, I'd suspend it over the side, a foot or two down, and let the float mechanism stop the pump at the perfect level. And then it'd start pumping automatically when the pool level got too high. And because I can't seem to even fill my tiny fountain without forgetting to turn off the hose (flooding my garden), I wouldn't have to worry about pumping the entire pool out before I remembered I'd started the pump. Just a crazy idea...

If this intrigues you, I think you'd want to make sure the pump could remain submerged in cold water indefinitely in this manner. Not sure this particular model is rated for that...

Thanks for the advice. I don't have somewhere low to drain to so I think I will try this submersible pump since it is so cheap. I wish I could use an automatic pool cover pump so I won't have to mess with draining out water periodically but I don't think it would work well since I don't have a plug nearby and will have to use extension cords. If it ends up draining too slowly with a long garden hose, does anyone know what type of hose I could buy to make it drain faster?

I have a similar pump that I used last winter and will use this winter. I use it for draining as well as water circulation if I add any chemicals. Originally I had wanted to just leave it in the water all winter, and I did for most, but it started rusting and stained my plaster a bit, all of which came out in the summer with a little vitamin C.

Super Deal 1/2HP Submersible Clean/Dirty Water Pump 2000GPH Swimming Pool Pond Flood Drain w/ Float Switch and Cable - - Amazon.com

As far as draining, just turn it on as needed and come back in a few hours. I think when I ran it I used a 1" PVC flexible hose to max out the size. Mine would not fit a standard hose. It took a LONG time to drain the water I would say like 1" per hour or so. You are 1/2 volume of mine so probably double for your size.

I have a similar pump,same circumstance with extension cord. Pool size a little smaller. My hydro tube is 6 feet deep, it takes me ( 50 ft garden hose) 4 to 5 hrs to drain it near full. Pool about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs to drain it 3 to 4 inches. I may have to do this 3 or 4 times during winter. I drained below skimmer this year for closing, a week later I had to drain 3 in. Because it was back up to top of skimmer. Just can’t win. Good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.