Sub Poured Muratic Acid On Marble Pavers NOW WHAT ?

Thanks for the info on replys. So PB showed up without the Sub , they know something is wrong and said they need to consult with him and others to see what can be done to fix it. They took a few unset stones said they wanted to try an recreate what happened ( odd) . At one point they suggested doing another ACID WASH to even things out, WOW! They also said that the sub said he would replace bad stones ( that wont work) . I told them the only possible fix was possibly restoration such as sand blasting by an expert or replacing the whole thing. I know I need to let them come back to me with a proposal so I will wait that out. In the mean time I spoke with a really good freind who is a big time PB and he suggested I do not do anything at all to the deck myself as @JoyfulNoise suggested. So no ammonia wash etc. Should I be wetting the deck at dawn and dusk still? The plaster will happen tomorrow. I am now in search of an expert in my area so I can get an in person consultation. I would like to have my own expert recommendations in hand for when the PB comes back with their proposed resolution. Thanks again for all the help and guidance.
Thank you for the heads up @JoyfulNoise

Thank you for the heads up @JoyfulNoise
Ta

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Thanks for the info on replys. So PB showed up without the Sub , they know something is wrong and said they need to consult with him and others to see what can be done to fix it. They took a few unset stones said they wanted to try an recreate what happened ( odd) . At one point they suggested doing another ACID WASH to even things out, WOW! They also said that the sub said he would replace bad stones ( that wont work) . I told them the only possible fix was possibly restoration such as sand blasting by an expert or replacing the whole thing. I know I need to let them come back to me with a proposal so I will wait that out. In the mean time I spoke with a really good freind who is a big time PB and he suggested I do not do anything at all to the deck myself as @JoyfulNoise suggested. So no ammonia wash etc. Should I be wetting the deck at dawn and dusk still? The plaster will happen tomorrow. I am now in search of an expert in my area so I can get an in person consultation. I would like to have my own expert recommendations in hand for when the PB comes back with their proposed resolution. Thanks again for all the help and guidance.

Ta
You don't have to do anything about the acid. Stop wetting it. Hopefully, you can find an expert nearby. If not, let's talk further. I'm raising a glass Clyde Mays in your direction. As to their replicating the reaction...maybe. I doubt that they will consider the surface temperature at the time of the acid application, and it is an important factor. The reapplication of acid to "even things out" takes a lot time and a keen eye.

You don't have to do anything about the acid. Stop wetting it. Hopefully, you can find an expert nearby. If not, let's talk further. I'm raising a glass Clyde Mays in your direction. As to their replicating the reaction...maybe. I doubt that they will consider the surface temperature at the time of the acid application, and it is an important factor. The reapplication of acid to "even things out" takes a lot time and a keen eye.
Enjoy the Clye Mays. I don't think they will have much luck with the replication unless they call the moron sub that did this and have him help :) I will update you on my search for experts will be working on it tomorrow.

I do believe that is what they had in mind , they basically said as much when they pointed to a ugly botched stone and said that they could make it all uniform and look like that . Unbelievable!

My reaction would have been -

wtf GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've got two names for you to contact in Dallas. I don't know the extent of their experience in handling such a project as yours. The question you'd ask is if they have or can restore a sandblast finish damaged by muriatic acid. If they haven't but think they could, then a few more questions would be in order, as would a sample.
Master Stone- Joel 214 809-2050
David Adams 817 793-1448
@JoyfulNoise

I've got two names for you to contact in Dallas. I don't know the extent of their experience in handling such a project as yours. The question you'd ask is if they have or can restore a sandblast finish damaged by muriatic acid. If they haven't but think they could, then a few more questions would be in order, as would a sample.
Master Stone- Joel 214 809-2050
David Adams 817 793-1448
@JoyfulNoise
THANK YOU so much for the info . Sorry for the delay in responding , they plastered yesterday, acid washed the plaster this AM and we are now filling so I was tied up birddogging that . I will call these contacts ASAP and let you know what they say. BTW after no rain all summer here in Central Tx it poured rain yesterday and last might go figure.

Jen
Ask them if the acid wash will alter the sandblasted finish that you chose and paid for. It will.
Great point , I will plan to bring that up if they decide to suggest that again . The marble is really slick now when it gets wet, not great for our cocktail loving friends., Rubber grip shoes will be passed out unti the deck issue is resolved. LOL

THANK YOU so much for the info . Sorry for the delay in responding , they plastered yesterday, acid washed the plaster this AM and we are now filling so I was tied up birddogging that . I will call these contacts ASAP and let you know what they say. BTW after no rain all summer here in Central Tx it poured rain yesterday and last might go figure.
Good. It’s raining here as well. Looking forward to hearing their responses.

Great point , I will plan to bring that up if they decide to suggest that again . The marble is really slick now when it gets wet, not great for our cocktail loving friends., Rubber grip shoes will be passed out unti the deck issue is resolved. LOL
A reason not to seal. There slip resistant treatments that may assist in altering the coefficient of friction

Good. It’s raining here as well. Looking forward to hearing their responses.
I spoke with BOTH the guys , interestingly they both said the same thing. Both talked about diamond sanding ? Dave said he has been doing this 23 years and thought it could work to give me some improvement but would come out and see and also look at the good stone , they would then spot test. He also said he had a guy he could call about possibly sandblasting it after the diamond sanding if it did not get me to where I wanted to go , he was not sure about sandblasting. Thoughts? Also copied @JoyfulNoise

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
I spoke with BOTH the guys , interestingly they both said the same thing. Both talked about diamond sanding ? Dave said he has been doing this 23 years and thought it could work to give me some improvement but would come out and see and also look at the good stone , they would then spot test. He also said he had a guy he could call about possibly sandblasting it after the diamond sanding if it did not get me to where I wanted to go , he was not sure about sandblasting. Thoughts? Also copied @JoyfulNoise

Definitely sounds like a plan to bring them out and see what they can do. Spot testing is great. Diamond polishing large areas will be expensive and may add more “swirl” to the pattern than you would like. But if he “knows a guy” with a sand blaster then maybe a combination of the diamond polish to level out the surface followed up with the sand blaster to give it the right texture will do the trick. You may need to do the entire deck (good and bad stones) just to make sure it’s all got the same final finish.

Definitely get options and costs, in writing if possible, and let your PB have a look at it … he’s paying for it!!

Reactions: proavia
Though I've not seen your deck, I'm not sure that one needs to sand before sandblasting. I could be wrong. Forty-five years in the biz taught me that. Whether one sands with diamonds or blasts with sand, you are abrading the surface. The latter process creates more texture than the former, which is akin to sanding wood. My hunch is that sandblasting may be the only step you need, and possibly only in the damaged areas. If the type and size of the blasting material (sand, garnet, glass beads, etc.) are matched to what was done previously, then the walk to success may be short. Push on the supplier to get this info.
@JoyfulNoise

Though I've not seen your deck, I'm not sure that one needs to sand before sandblasting. I could be wrong. Forty-five years in the biz taught me that. Whether one sands with diamonds or blasts with sand, you are abrading the surface. The latter process creates more texture than the former, which is akin to sanding wood. My hunch is that sandblasting may be the only step you need, and possibly only in the damaged areas. If the type and size of the blasting material (sand, garnet, glass beads, etc.) are matched to what was done previously, then the walk to success may be short. Push on the supplier to get this info.
@JoyfulNoise
Understood , I will be at supplier again this Wednesday .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.