Styrofoam base for pool.

crookm11

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2010
Copperas Cove, Texas
Hello everyone,

I know this has probably been asked before but I can't seem to find a definite answer. I'm going to redo the base for my 16' x 48" round Intex Ultra frame pool. I will be using styrofoam and sand as the base.
Questions:
1. Can the styrofoam be subjected to the weather?
2. Does it need to be covered?
3. Is the below order OK?

Pool Base setup:
1. Tamped level ground.
2. Thin layer of sand for final leveling
3. 1.5" or 2" styrofoam
4. Ground cloth if needed.
5. Pool

Thanks, Mark

mcoonan

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 1, 2008
Mendota Heights, MN
Mark,
The styrofoam will weather/oxidize. the pink stuff gets lighter pink and pills up when you touch it.
A good quality tarp covering the foam is the way to go. I used the HD silver one, on my 3rd year w/o a prob. but might need to replace it next year.
Also, I see that you are looking to upgrade to the 20' any reason you are not going to the 24' ?
Mike

crookm11

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2010
Copperas Cove, Texas
mcoonan said:
Mark,
The styrofoam will weather/oxidize. the pink stuff gets lighter pink and pills up when you touch it.
A good quality tarp covering the foam is the way to go. I used the HD silver one, on my 3rd year w/o a prob. but might need to replace it next year.
Also, I see that you are looking to upgrade to the 20' any reason you are not going to the 24' ?
Mike
mcoonan,

Thanks for the reply. I kinda figured the styrofoam would weather if not covered. I decided to go with the 20' instead of the 24' because I can't seem to find either one for sale anywhere so I have to peice the pool together from the Intex store. The part numbers for the 20' match the part numbers for the 16' so I can use my current legs and "T" brackets and just have to order a few instead of all the parts for the 24'. I would love to have the 24'.

Thanks again, Mark

Other Threads of Interest