Stubborn Yellow Algae

Day 9 of the SLAM & more questions. Is it possible for the OCLT to increase one day compared to the previous day? My changes have been: 7, 1.5, 1.5, 3.5, 2, 5, & 3.5.

I generally test at 2 hr intervals during the day with the first test between 6 & 6:30 am and the last between 8:30 & 9. The sun is up when I test but it hasn't hit the pool. Is it still possible to get a lower reading because it is already bright outside and should I be testing around 5 a.m. To get a more accurate reading? also, does pump speed play a role or is it just important that it is on? I try to brush after adding chlorine but it isn't every time. I think I'm just frustrated because there really wasn't much algae at the beginning of this process so in my mind i should have kicked this thing in the butt within a few days. The pool has been crystal clear since day one. Thanks!

Day 9 of the SLAM & more questions. Is it possible for the OCLT to increase one day compared to the previous day? My changes have been: 7, 1.5, 1.5, 3.5, 2, 5, & 3.5.

I feel like this is a part-time job! :) Thanks for all of your help - much appreciated.

Thanks. As soon as I asked the question I found another post with the answer (of course!). I've learned so much reading the other threads and find that I suddenly don't know what happened to the past hour!

Jason - sorry to keep bothering you but I keep going back to the CYA/Chlorine chart under the information for the SLAM and it says shock level for a CYA of 50 is 20. Then if I go into pool math and plug in CYA of 50 it says the mustard-algae shock level is 29 and shock level is 20. I've been using the FC level of 29 for my SLAM, is that correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No you have not because the active chlorine (hypochlorous acid) level at our recommended Yellow/Mustard algae shock FC that is around 60% of the CYA level is the same as a pool with 1.4 ppm FC with no CYA. So it's no worse that many commercial/public pools that do not use CYA. You did not hurt your equipment. Basically the 9 days have been equivalent to 210 days (i.e. 7 months) of exposure at our minimum FC levels. Also, even high active chlorine levels are not nearly as damaging as low pH in terms of metal corrosion.

Good to know. Thanks for that information!

Now that SLAM is complete I'm on to checking and adjusting TA, pH, etc. The pool looks great and now I just need to keep it that way. I guess I won't fill it in after all ;)

Neither of those should have happened.
Unless you removed a lot of water that lowered the CYA (not likely given you have a Cart filter)
and you were using cal-hypo that added the CH.

I didn't think so but before I started the SLAM I had to lower the CYA and CH by replacing water which I did over the course of about 4 nights. I didn't start the slam until I reached a CYA of 50 (it was originally 100+). I'll test again. Thanks Jason!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.