Stubborn Green Pool

V.Todd

Jul 8, 2019
Oxford, Mississippi
Hello!! I have a 30ft. above ground pool in North Mississippi. We had about 5 straight days of rain and torrential down pours. There is a 30ft Cedar Tree about 20 feet from my pool so I'm guessing this is my problem.
I balanced my water using Pool Math Calculator...shocked accordingly with 10% Liquid Chlorine with no results at all..kept getting darker green... (having yard party this weekend) went to WalMart and Purchased a 4 in 1 Shock..again only results is darker green..Initially I could see the bottom clearly. Got desperate and went to Family Leisure with my problem..they were out of TKO which she said would be very good but the combination of Ultima Total Control Shock & Algaecide (6 lbs) would work in combination with Ultima PhosFIGHT Remedy (1 qt.) Put all that in around 6:30 PM last evening,,,,Pool still as dark green. Test Results at this time:
FC/CC=11ppm, CYA - 30, TA=110, pH=8.20 (recommends adding 2c. 1 oz Muratic acid (at this point I thought not to add anything until I got advice from this forum)
Your advice will be greatly appreciated..Should have come here first.
Best Regards,
Vivian

but the combination of Ultima Total Control Shock & Algaecide (6 lbs) would work in combination with Ultima PhosFIGHT Remedy (1 qt.)
Sadly, that stuff will not help. It will likely prolong the issue.

You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.

Thank you for responding; I have the TF-100 kit..my second year using it. The readings this morning-
Test Results at this time:
FC/CC=11ppm, CYA - 30, TA=110, pH=8.20 (recommends adding 2c. 1 oz Muratic acid
Should I follow the Slam Process now?

Last edited:
Put your kit in your signature. And stop going to pool stores.

You need to follow the SLAM Process. The stuff you added - algaecide - what was it? - and the cheap phosphate remover - never to be added with algae in the pool - will have to be consumed by the chlorine.

Test your FC to be sure it is 10 ppm or less. Then lower your pH to 7.2. Then raise your FC to 12 ppm and maintain it there by testing FC and adding liquid chlorine very few hours. Brush/vac the pool at least once per day.

The algaecide you added indicates it has copper in it by my search. Check the container. Watch for staining of your liner. Up to you but draining may be needed if you want to be sure the liner is not stained in the future.

Staining from the copper. You may not have added enough to cause staining but we cannot be sure.

Hi..Unrelated to the pool but I attempted to add Pool Kit in Profile - Edit Profile Banner. A window opens to Choose file -- so I created revised banner information to import via that window.. didn't work/ I am missing a step. Would appreciate direction. Thank you

Hi..Unrelated to the pool but I attempted to add Pool Kit in Profile - Edit Profile Banner. A window opens to Choose file -- so I created revised banner information to import via that window.. didn't work/ I am missing a step. Would appreciate direction. Thank you
I added the TF100 to your signature. Simply go to your member name, touch it or select it, and go to Signature.

When you can add the rest of your pool equipment, pool volume, etc that would be great. You can use our signature for reference. If you are on a mobile device, turn it sideways to see our signature.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.