Gold Supporter
May 22, 2018
Elmhurst, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our indoor pool used to be pristine.... rarely a problem with any algae. Then, I went away for 2 months. Since my return, I see algae constantly popping up along the edges and in the corners of the pool regularly. I have shocked the pool (brought bromine up to 20 ppm) and I brush the algae away when I see it, but it doesn't seem defeated. Never had to brush this much before.... almost every 2-3 days.

Bromine is maintained at 5-6 daily. Should I bump it up to 10 and keep it there for a while? Regs allow swimmers if bromine is at 10 ppm or less. Other ideas for getting rid of this menace for good?

If the pool is algae free then normal sanitation can keep algae from taking hold.

Once algae is in and around the pool then your sanitation kill rate may be greater then the algae replication rate and keep it in check. But algae will find the corners where it can replicate and show up.

Only by getting the pool algae free again will you end the cycle. That requires the continuous chlorination of the SLAM Process. I don’t know how you accomplish that with bromine.

The higher the bromine level the greater the kill rate will be over the replication rate.

Only by getting the pool algae free again will you end the cycle. That requires the continuous chlorination of the SLAM Process. I don’t know how you accomplish that with bromine.
I'm assuming that I would use the SLAM level for chlorine with no CYA in the pool (that's 10 ppm) and just multiply that by 2.25 (22.5 ppm bromine) and keep the bromine at that level until the SLAM is complete.
For example if bromine is at 5 ppm in a 20,000 gallon pool, and I'm using 12.5% bleach, I would add 128 oz. of chlorine to the pool and keep adding chlorine periodically to keep it at that level until the SLAM is completed. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.