Stubborn Algae Removal

FC 22.5 (OCLT was 1; CC are 0)
pH --
TA 220
CH 320
CYA 50 (~47 ;) )
Temp 61 F

I've been adding about a 1/2 gallon of 31% muriatic acid every other day to knock the TA down. It's coming down.
Everything else looks the same.

This algae continues to defy. Honestly, I don't think the color of the DEEPLY EMBEDDED & MARRIED TO MY PEBBLE SHEEN FINISH algae has changed much.

I've been running my pump 24/7 for almost a solid two weeks and brush until my arms and shoulders hurt. Even the SS brushes don't seem to be doing much.

The only thing that works is laying a trichlor puck right on it and then it clears rather nicely as you can see in the pic.

~*~SIGH~*~

Attachments

• Img_2531.jpg
    Img_2531.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 58
I wanted to update this thread with a tale of full and complete success! Yeah!

I basically kept the chlorine levels between 20-40 for most of this summer and by the end of July, the overnight chlorine test finally came back as zero.

Wow...what an ordeal. I grew tired of brushing not long after the last post above (6/7) as it seemed to do no good at all.

I finally grew tired of the steps having algae and when the CYA dropped enough (I wonder if very high chlorine levels impact CYA? Mine seemed to drop 10-20 over a month of 20-40 chlorine), I sprinkled it on the horizontal surfaces to clean up the algae. For the rest of the summer, all that was left were the pool sides and pool bottom here and there. Brushing appeared to do very little in these areas.

So I just kept the chlorine up and low and behold, the pool slowly but surely was cleansed of all algae!

Thanks for all the help here. Chlorine, chlorine, chlorine...that is what it takes and sometimes you just have to ride it...even for 8-10 weeks at shock level. It is shocking but it finally did the trick.

I also finally have a very solid chlorine injection system that I think will be very reliable over the winter. The Liquidator works GREAT for the first year or two until it becomes encrusted with salt and then it basically doesn't work. I now use my Liquidator tank to feed my Stenner peristalic pump and I feel that it will be a solid performer for a long time now...I hope. I really don't want another 2-3 months of SLAM'ing my pool next year!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.