Structural cracks

Quillou

Apr 24, 2024
Texas
We are considering buying a home and it has a pool that's about 20 years old. The pool has a structural crack that the seller is not repairing but her pool inspector has estimated repairs would be about $9500. My main question is concerning the cause of the structural crack. If we repair it, will we continue to have issues down the road with this pool because of what caused the structural crack in the first place? I know the house had a foundation repair in the past. My concern is that the ground is shifting and unstable and has caused issues (and will continue to) with both the pool and the house. Are structural cracks a recurring issue and red flag or are they fine once repaired and don't keep coming back?

We would need to know more about the structural crack. I suggest you hire an engineer to further evaluate. Did you have your own inspector? Pools typically are sold as is anyway. Worst case you have to abandon it or have it rebuilt. Can you post a picture of the crack?

We are considering buying a home and it has a pool that's about 20 years old. The pool has a structural crack that the seller is not repairing but her pool inspector has estimated repairs would be about $9500. My main question is concerning the cause of the structural crack. If we repair it, will we continue to have issues down the road with this pool because of what caused the structural crack in the first place? I know the house had a foundation repair in the past. My concern is that the ground is shifting and unstable and has caused issues (and will continue to) with both the pool and the house. Are structural cracks a recurring issue and red flag or are they fine once repaired and don't keep coming back?
Structural cracks are an indication that the underlying soil is moving or inadequate construction. (Probably the soil moving)

Soil moving could be high ground water, a current leak in the pool, or a past leak in the pool. Some texas communities seem to have a goofy foundation watering system thats supposed to keep the ground moisture consistant so no foundation settling occurs, but in reality seems to cause more problems. Id stay away from any home that had this system.

Depending on the size of the structural cracks and the condition of the plaster, spending less than $10k fixing those may be unrealistic. Hard to say without seeing pictures. I fixed some structural cracks in my pool caused by unrepaired leaks that allowed water into the surrounding soil.