mkmscr

Mar 1, 2013
Charlotte, USA
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I read the resent article about storm readiness. The article mentions opening the spigot between the filter and the pump to help drain down the pool from significant rainfall. The only drain I have is the tail pipe that comes off the bottom of my Jandy cartridge filter housing. Is it safe to open that valve while the pump is running to help drain down some water? Of course I’d monitor pool water levels. I don’t have an overflow drain so if this would not work I’d have to use a submersible pump and garden hose to try and pump water out.

Thank you.

The only drain I have is the tail pipe that comes off the bottom of my Jandy cartridge filter housing. Is it safe to open that valve while the pump is running to help drain down some water?

Where is the water going to flow when you pump water out of your filter drain.

You don;t want to flood your pool pad and soak your pump and other equipment.

Show us pics of your equipment pad and what you are thinking of doing.

The only drain I have is the tail pipe that comes off the bottom of my Jandy cartridge filter housing. Is it safe to open that valve while the pump is running to help drain down some water?
Is it a valve or a drain plug? A valve can ve opened under pressure but you risk stripping the threads of a drain plug if you remove it under pressure.

A submersible pump always works too.

Where is the water going to flow when you pump water out of your filter drain.

You don;t want to flood your pool pad and soak your pump and other equipment.

Show us pics of your equipment pad and what you are thinking of doing.
My filter is far away from my pool and I have a 2” drain pipe that would redirect water down hill toward the street. My house is on top of a hill so I can easily drain down the hill in an emergency.

Reactions: Newdude
My filter is far away from my pool and I have a 2” drain pipe that would redirect water down hill toward the street. My house is on top of a hill so I can easily drain down the hill in an emergency.
The question is can I safely run the pump with the cartridge filter drain spigot opened?

Is it a valve or a drain plug? A valve can ve opened under pressure but you risk stripping the threads of a drain plug if you remove it under pressure.

A submersible pump always works too.
It’s a ball joint valve so pretty easy to turn it on and off. I was just wondering if that would lead to sir in the system causing some weird scenario I’m not aware of.

It’s a ball joint valve so pretty easy to turn it on and off. I was just wondering if that would lead to sir in the system causing some weird scenario I’m not aware of.
Nope. All good. Air gets sucked in an opening/leak before the pump. After the pump a leak/opening throws water.

Open it to drain and add a hose if you don't want to flood the nearby area.

Reactions: mkmscr
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.