Storm Blew Out IntelliCenter

You may be able to make a homeowners insurance claim.
A nuisance claim for $1,000 to $2,000 is not worth having on record. The insurance company will get back more then that with increased rates over the next few years.

Reactions: Newdude
The repair tech got me back up and running a couple of days ago. He replaced the main board. The personality/daughter board was fine. I am not aure what happened to the board, but I going to make some changes to my surge protection design to improve the ethernet and RS485 lines. My initial attempt was subpar.

The repair tech got me back up and running a couple of days ago. He replaced the main board. The personality/daughter board was fine. I am not aure what happened to the board, but I going to make some changes to my surge protection design to improve the ethernet and RS485 lines. My initial attempt was subpar.
Kev, did you keep the blown board? Can you send it to @ogdento for an autopsy?

I hope the new board I have on the way gets mine going without any other collateral damage.

I will be sending my bad board to @ogdento for analysis.

Kev, did you keep the blown board? Can you send it to @ogdento for an autopsy?

I hope the new board I have on the way gets mine going without any other collateral damage.

I will be sending my bad board to @ogdento for analysis.
I didn't keep the blown board. The tech took it with him. I wish I would have thought about it. It would have been good to know.

I got a replacement i5P board today and was happy to see that my i8PS Personality Board survived the incident.

I powered up the new board slowly and incrementally added each connector to see that it still powered up.

Now to update the Firmware, set the configuration, and hope that the comm ports on the pump and IntelliCenter work.

Reactions: mknauss
Everything is now back to normal on my IntelliCenter.

Only the main board was bricked where the display did not light up or respond. All my devices communicate with the new board so no COMM ports were blown out.

I am sending my bricked board to Tom to autopsy and if I get a clue as to what failed maybe I will be able to do something to keep it from happening again. At this point I don;t think putting surge protectors on the RS-485 lines would have made a difference since there was no damage to the RS-485 chips.

My old main board was Rev A and the new board is Rev B. I updated the firmware to 2.017 so I got an update out of all this work.

I was curious to see what firmware you loaded and also wasn't aware that there were two revisions.

The replacement board had 1.047 on it from Pentair. I first updated it to 1.064 and then to 2.017.

I did not do any setup or configuration on it until I had 2.017 loaded. Some people reported things on their configuration getting scrambled when they did a firmware update. So I figured the cleanest way was to not carryover anything from 1.064 setup and do all configuration on 2.017.

I also had to update my Indoor Control Panel firmware. It threw an error screen and reported a mismatch when the Outdoor Control Panel had 1.047 while the indoor control panel had 1.064. Then it was interesting that it did not complain when the Outdoor Control Panel had 2.017 and the Indoor Control Panel had 1.064. But I put the USB stick with 2.017 in the Indoor Control Panel USB slot and brought it up the the same firmware level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.