Annapolis MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I need to relocate my pool filter to accommodate a new retaining wall.

The pool is winterized so the skimmers and returns are plugged and empty and the line from the drain is pressurized, but as soon as I cut the pipe, water is going to flow because the pump side of the piping is lower than the current water level.

As you might imagine, I’d like to cement on the new fitting without draining the pool. I can easily plug the new fitting once it’s on, but I have to get it cemented on first.

Any tricks to clog the 1-1/2” pipe long enough to get a fitting cemented on?

Post pics of your equipment pad and show us where you plan to make the cut.

What happens when you open the pump lid to clean out the pump?

I'm sure a plumber will come up with a better idea, but what I can think of is cut the pipe, insert an internal rubber expansion plug to stop the water, add a union at the cut, do the rest of the plumbing, then part the union to remove the plug.

Another idea is basically the same but using a T in place of a planned 90 rather than the union. Plug off the flow before the new 90, install the T with the straight in line with the plug, finish plumbing, remove the plug via the empty T branch. Plug that branch permanently.

Setting yourself up to block flow for future repairs with some method like this seems like a plus.

Last edited:
Here’s a picture of the scene of the crime.

There’s a valve to stop flow when the pump basket lid is opened, but that valve is downstream from where I need to cut. 3C77FC8C-DB4F-4DA8-8324-29ED28E9A865.jpeg

Stuff a potato or a bunch of bread into the pipe as a plug. You will get wet as soon as you cut into the pipe.

You have any friends who are scuba divers and have a wetsuit and would dive into your pool and put a plug in the main drain?

See if the Flood Plugs will work…

FEAFF5B9-9924-4436-8E26-C21E835CC2EB.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.