Stonescapes mini pebble durability

Surfergirl70461

Jan 7, 2022
Tampa Bay, Fl
Hello. We are looking to resurface our pool and our contractor is recommending Stonescapes mini pebble. One of my neighbors told me that Stonescapes has fallen out of favor recently because the epoxy degrades in the sun and the stones fall off. I’m hoping someone who has Stonescapes, and has had it for a while, can give me feedback on its durability and whether or not it is rough on the skin. Thanks

Welcome to TFP.

Stonescapes uses the same plaster material as all other pool finishes, not epoxy.

The sun does not degrade plaster that is underwater.

Stones in pebble finishes come lose due to poor application and not enough plaster used to encapsulate the pebbles or due to overly aggressive acid washing that removes too much plaster around the pebbles.

Properly applied Stonescape will be as good as any other pebble finish.

All pebble finishes can be rough on the skin depending on the size of the pebbles used and how sensitive you are. I suggest you find a pool with the finish you are considering and try it. I personally prefer smooth quartz finishes to rough pebble.

Welcome to TFP.

Stonescapes uses the same plaster material as all other pool finishes, not epoxy.

The sun does not degrade plaster that is underwater.

Stones in pebble finishes come lose due to poor application and not enough plaster used to encapsulate the pebbles or due to overly aggressive acid washing that removes too much plaster around the pebbles.

Properly applied Stonescape will be as good as any other pebble finish.

All pebble finishes can be rough on the skin depending on the size of the pebbles used and how sensitive you are. I suggest you find a pool with the finish you are considering and try it. I personally prefer smooth quartz finishes to rough pebble.
Thank you for the information. We also looked at the quartz, because we prefer a smoother finish. I was told that the quartz aggregate does not last as long as a pebble surface though. In any case, I really appreciate your response and the info.

There are lots of reasons why plaster finishes fail before their expected lifespan. There is nothing special that makes pebble last longer then quartz. You are simply hearing marketing.

My advice is buy the finish you like. I think it is foolish to suffer for years with a rough finish thinking it may last longer.

Reactions: Surfergirl70461
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.