Stone scapes mini pebble vs. quartz / Is Pebble sheen same as mini pebble?

Sep 26, 2012
I have decided to go with the tropics blue mini pebble for my renovation.. was going to stay with quartz which is what I have now, love the feel of it.. do NOT like regular pebble... to rough. I started considering mini pebble due to being easier to maintain, its super pretty and I wanted a little darker color and I know quartz mottles.. mine did... I am 95% sure about this but I thought I would throw it out there for opinions...

I have stood on a tanning step and felt the mini pebble but not actually swam in a pool. I have a friend with pebble sheen which I think is similar so I am going to swim in her new pool to get a better feel... is PS the same as Mini pebble?

We just finished our Tropics Blue minipebble pool. Temperature -72 -makes it not yet swimmable but my wife jumped in for a very brief dip. She reported the surface feeling a little bumpy.

Our new Dolphin S200 is happy to climb the walls and gets around about 2/3 of the tiles water line.

Don't want to pollute the thread but...
Not yet finding affordable liquid chlorine so I resorted to temporary use of the Clorox tablets. Checking to see what the CA Hardness should be.

I am also in your shoes. Pebble Sheen or Stone Scrapes Mini Pebble? What I've read is Pebble Tec has been out longer than Stone Scrapes. I don't know if that means they have a proven track record. Our pool builder puts mini pebbles on a standard bid. He'll only do a Pebble Fina if there's a signed disclosure. I have the disclosure on email if you wish to see it.

I'm glad they're steering me towards more reliable finishes. He did say fading is less on a darker pool and that the darker pool color has more luminesce. (I don't want a dull flat looking color). IE: This all is with a Stone Scrape Mini Pebble.

This thread was helpful. Well, I might link two!

Hello Sollace! We are probably going with Pebble Fina for the smooth surface and it's supposed to last longer (hopefully a LOT longer) than plaster. Our PB uses PT exclusively, so we can't consider companies like Stonescapes.
If you could PLEASE send me the Fina disclosure, I'd love to see it in advance. (We are supposed to dig sometime this month.) Thanks!

Let me see if this takes.
This is cut and paste from a PDF file. Someone let me know if something like this shouldn't be on here ) I will delete or someone can delete.

"Pebble Fina Disclaimer Pebble Fina is a trademark pool finish manufactured and distributed through Pebble Technologies, Inc., hereafter PTI, and applied by Modern Method Gunite, Inc., hereafter MMG. Strengths: Pebble is a modified plaster surface comprised of silica sands, white cement, a proprietary blend of additives, namely pozzolans and polymers, and in most cases pigment. The finish itself most closely resembles a standard colored plaster surface. The use of the additives gives Pebble Fina superior durability while allowing the finishes to maintain its characteristic smooth finish. Concerns: By its nature, Pebble Fina will accentuate all the characteristics normally found in white or colored plaster. Inasmuch Pebble Fina may exhibit pronounced mottling, etching, pigment stains, streaks, unevenness of color and more noticeable check cracking and crazing. (See page 2 for definitions as stated in the National Plasterers Council, Technical Manual, Eighth Edition, Section 9.0 Terminology.) Also, variations of shade will exist between color sample chips and mixed plaster. Over time, the color may fade completely or grow gradually lighter and will often not be the precise shade that was anticipated. It's important to note that none of these conditions are considered a deficiency of the product. It is also important to note that additives are used and while they have been proven to help prevent surface problems, they are not fool-proof. You may still see changes in the surface's appearance, although most likely to a far lesser degree.

For the reasons listed above, PTI markets its Pebble Fina product as a classic “old world” finish. While it has superior durability, it will exhibit all the characteristics listed above. MMG markets Pebble Fina products and describes its characteristic as a “Faux finish”. The beauty is achieved by not having one consistent uniform color. A faux finish is expected to have variations in color, scratches, swirls, marks and imperfections.

I hereby have read and fully understand that Pebble Fina will exhibit the characteristic of a colored plaster resulting in mottling, streaking, unevenness in color, checking and crazing. All other issues referenced above are to be expected as natural accruing characteristic of a Pebble Fina Finish.

Second page is definitions:

Check Cracking
1. The common random crack pattern of a plaster surface that generally self-heals through the ongoing hydration and curing process, also known aby the slang terms of map cracking, hairline cracking, chip cracking, pattern cracking, or eggshell cracking. 2. Small cracks associated with the shrinkage from moisture loss and consolidation within a cementitious coating during set. 3. Small shallow cracks at closely spaced but irregular intervals on the surface of a plaster.

Craze Cracking
A slang term used within the industry referring to small random cracks. See Check Cracking. Etching Deterioration 1. The physical or chemical removal of material from the surface of the plaster. 2. The visible pitting or eating away of the surface plaster due to chemical or physical processes. 3. Any chemical or physical action on a surface that can remove or dissolving away elements or compounds of that surface. See also Pitting and Spot Etching.

Mottling
The blotchy appearance across the surface of cementitious finish, which can have varying shades of color, usually in a random pattern and are typically more pronounced in darker colored finishes. 2. The normal variations in a cementitious material as a result of the ongoing hydration process, which typically lessen or disappear over time. 3. The abnormal discolorations associated with the trowel bum, trapped moisture, or other situations, that typically do not resolve themselves.

Pitting
1. A slang term denoting a form of etching. 2. The early stage of corrosion of the reinforcing steel of a swimming pool. 3. The development of small cavities in the surface of the cementitious coating. See also Etching Deterioration.

References National Plasterers Council. (2016). Technical Manual. In NPC Technical Advisory Committee, Technical Manual (pp. 27-33).

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow. I'm back to say HOLY MOLY! That's the craziest disclaimer I've ever read.
What a quandary! Plaster doesn't last . . . pebble is hard on the toes and tush . . . fina was the answer, until now! :cry:

I know. I was all set on Pebble Fina then couldn't deal with that disclaimer. The pool builder I'm using said he'll install a Pebble Fina pool but won't without the disclaimer. He said they've had more problems with that finish so they now insist on the disclaimer. That turned me right around. . . And the odd thing is, I haven't found anyone on this list that has pebble fina. Or is there someone out there?

You could talk to your pool builder. I've heard granite is smooth. I went back and forth on this too then saw a few videos on Wet Edge and decided to go with them. Some forum members here have Wet Edge and are extremely happy. Of course I've heard that with other finishes.

Lately I've been obsessing over waterline tile . . . Too many choices and knowing I can't change it out for years and years means I need the right one!

Here's a link to one article on problems with plaster. If you keep researching on this forum you'll find that most pool installs have something wrong with the pool. . . finish. . . tile. . . or coping. It's discouraging when you spend tens of thousands of dollars.

The Wet Edge does look great from all the youtube vids I've been watching. My PB is stuck on Pebble Tec, so I will risk the fina or switch over to Sheen. Is there a reason you decided against Pebble Sheen?
I agree, there does not seem to be many fina people out there. Though, SCDAREN has bella blue pebble fina . . . here's the link to the pool build pictures: Pool Build 2018 ~ His turned out great. Strange though, that the finish (before water is added) looks more white than blue. **UPDATE, scdaren says finish has a blue hue in person.**
I'm obsessing over tile as well, both for the waterline and cascade wall. There are so many I like, but when I put them out in my yard they look totally different! And of course they change radically throughout the day. Thanks, I'll check out the plaster link tomorrow ~ I'm EXHAUSTED from ceaseless research! :geek:

Last edited:
I never really looked hard at Pebble Sheen. I'm not sure why. If your pool builder is so into Pebble Tec - And that is a company that's been around longer than a lot of others, ask him to take you to some of his pool builds. Get in the water on the steps and see what the texture feels like.

Thanks for sharing that pool build from 2018 -- Interesting! And those were some tiles I was looking at!

Here's another for you:

I have asked, but they are sooo busy, we are still waiting for the dig! (Signed 6/30/20!) The PB warned us about the wait, and we're fine with it. At this point we don't expect to swim until late spring or early summer next year. The PB has a great 30+ year reputation and ran a special in June, that plus Covid, and they are absolutely swamped. But I am on them to show me some pools, and they said they will . . . tick tock . . .

I hope it goes well for you Girija.
I finally figured out my tile. I liked the way the pool designer did it on the plans. 6 X 6 tile and the pattern is Dark Medium Dark Light. So I'm going with glazed tile (easier to clean the waterline scuzz off). No glass. Dark is a blue, green medium and a lighter creamy blue for light -- Doing contrast and yes it'll look like stripes. We also have a very short wall, mainly a foot stubbing thing and it'll be tiled, too. That's why I had so much trouble. I didn't want stone. . .

Attachments

• ExampleForTile.jpg
    ExampleForTile.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 32
Thank you. Your tile selection looks great. Do you know the name of the tile? We are also looking at glazed 6x6 tiles for our 14' wall (2 ft tall, middle 8 feet, down to 18" tall on 3-foot ends) as I don't want a stone wall either. We've tentatively selected FJord Block Random for the waterline, though we won't know which of the two below until we find the "perfect" :ROFLMAO: 6x6 wall tile. Or, we might even use the "Misty" for the wall and use a 6 x 6 waterline . . . The cardboard wall mock-up pic shows "Silent" on the wall, but we thought that might be a bit "much." What stage are you with your build?
BTW, I know tile preference is a personal (taste) matter, but I WELCOME any and all comments from anyone reading this, as I don't know what I'm doing!

Attachments

• Fjord Silent.png
    Fjord Silent.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Fjord Misty.png
    Fjord Misty.png
    38 KB · Views: 31
  • 20201004_164209.jpg
    20201004_164209.jpg
    636.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Reactions: Winter247
Thanks TexasRain. My husband's idea, and thank goodness! Our original height on the ends was 12" (as shown in the Avatar rendering) and it didn't look right on the first cardboard mock wall. We also ended up changing the end lengths to 3 foot, as opposed to 4'. Now, if I could only decide on tile and finish! :)
p.s. I love reading your build thread . . . so funny, our PB also came out to mark our yard on the same day as you (9/16) and we still don't have a DIG date! Ha! Love how your PB surprised you with the excavator on the same day!

• Love
Reactions: TexasRain

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.