stone dust under sand?

May 7, 2017
Northern NJ
So when the installer came to check out our yard he said they would take half the high side to build up the low side to make everything level and he recommended stone dust for under the sand. He said it was optional but he would do it if it was his pool. I live in NJ, very rocky soil. Yard is on a slope with water running towards the pool area. We ended up doing our own digging and going down the entire 29" so it is all level. We are putting in a retaining wall and doing a french drain around the pool. Do I still need the stone dust since we are not building up at all? Does it have any benefits on level ground?

If you are setting up a metal walled pool, you need something that will be a solid base on 12" on each side of the wall, like stone dust. If it's a soft sided pool, you can skip the stone dust, and just set it up on the sand, though you probably want patio blocks under the feet.

The stone dust will help firm up the soil and stop the sand under the liner from being pushed into the ground if you are still sitting on topsoil. If you have dug down far enough so you will be sitting on subsoil I wouldn't worry about the stone dust. The uprights of a pool should always be set on solid concrete block no less that 2 inches thick but preferably 4 inches thick.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.