Still greenish

Alishasjunkypool

Jul 16, 2020
Wisconsin
Hi there. Im having some issues eith my water. So a little background info. Its a 24 ft 52 inch above ground, filled 2 years ago with well water, cartridge filter. Last season we had a leak but couldnt find it so we ket it leak down aff far as it would and let it go stagnant. A month ago we found the home, patched it and filled. I took it to my local pool store weekly for testing. Added sequestering agent, daily shockings and ph plus. Last week my levels were all normal so the pool lady told me to try flocculant. I sogs and everything dropped ro the bottom but unfortunately i can't do anything because i have a cartridge filter. So i added clarifier and that has dont nothing but make it cloudier. Im lost as to what to do.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Unfortunately, everything the pool store had you do was not only a waste, but will ruin your cartridge filter. They have essentially made your job much more difficult. Let's re-cap two main things:
1 - You have algae which requires a SLAM Process.
2 - You are on a well which usually mean iron which can change the water color and cause staining.

Algae must always be killed and removed with the proper amount of chlorine before treating for iron because to kill algae means using a higher Free Chlorine (FC) level. The do the SLAM and maintain the elevated FC level, you need the a proper test kit - either the TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C. That is a must. The floc and clarifiers will ruin your paper cartridge filter, so now you either vacuum it up and replace the filter, or get a separate pump that will allow you to suck it all out to WASTE avoiding the filter. Either way stinks, and if you're not up to the task you might have to just change a majority of the water. I wish I had better news, but the pool store has once again given horrible advice, something you will hear at TFP quite often.

Please do your best to get a TF-100 (or Taylor K-2006C) test kit. Read our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and those Vital Links in my signature. Make sure to update your signature as well. Let us know if you have more questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.