Still didn't open this season yet...somehow just don't have the enthusiasm to do it....anybody else (in the 60+ age group) feel the same way??

• Haha
Reactions: magiteck and mguzzy
Simpsons already did it.
Oh Lordy...don't know if I'm brave enough to watch that...maybe after a few cold ones? OK...so I watched it. LOL!! I've hardly ever watched the show so had no idea they did something on that song. Too much! Always loved playing the Dm arpeggio at the beginning (in the video around 1:18). Yeah...nostalgic for sure. Debated on selling it...I mean...really don't anticipate playing it anymore and yet one of those strangely sentimental albums. That's my problem...TOO many sentimental pieces still in the house...and garage. At least the old Apollo filter has a spiffy new gauge. LOVE the big dial - can use binoculars and check out the pressure from the dining room window - now THAT's cool!!!

if they modeled the organist after you.
Well, WAY too much wrist movement for one thing....😁 That video is a hoot! One of the most fun times I've ever had at an organ is playing the massive instrument at Longwood Gardens.
Only thing that was distracting and sort of annoying was the Master of Ceremonies constantly coming over and making registration / stop adjustments. Some settings worked, some didn't. It's roughly like sitting in an airline cockpit compared to most organs I've played. There is lots of other organ stuff on my youtube channel, but mostly associated with our church youth choir during Easter and Christmas Eve. Guitar videos and links to albums also.

Last edited:
Reactions: newdude and mguzzy
New thought.

Get on the organ and belt out House of the Rising Sun as a cautionary tale

There is a house in Berks County
They call the Baqua one
It’s been the ruin of many a poor boy
And God. I know. I was one.

*wicked organ solo*.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
was that you?!I
I wish! Used to stop in at Wanamaker's after a doctor appointment a few blocks away. Never wound up there when it was playing unfortunately except for once or twice. That console is roughly the size of a compact sedan!!! The Longwood organ is pretty amazing also. But then, the gardens is probably my all-time favorite place. Sad, in way, how they're going to change a good part of it.

I don’t get it. For years I watched friends, and many of them, wait for Memorial Day with no good answer to why. It was purely a mental thing that the summer couldn’t start before then bur that mentality runs rampant by me. So they’d wait every year and be rewarded with a swamp. *then* loose a precious 3 weeks clearing but not clearing it the Leslies way with a couple more replays during the short summer. *then* close Labor Day whether it was still 90 or 50. Because they ‘had to’.

I open BY Memorial Day depending on the weather, and keep it open until at LEAST Labor Day depending on the weather.

This year though, I opened it Memorial Day. I needed a new solar cover, which I ordered May 3 and received yesterday (June 20). I have been in the pool a few times and it was - invigorating. It is amazing how much the solar cover extends the season for us.

I have a bunch of projects going on around my house that I have to attend to, some major undertakings, along with the ongoing yard work that always needs doing. Usually I really look forward towards opening my pool, but this year it was more like an other chore that is going to burn up half a Saturday when I have a list of other things to do.

Reactions: newdude
Realy hard to admit it to myself, but I think I'm just tired of it all. Love swimming, but just weary of so much that goes along with keeping the thing going all summer. Been at this now for 32 years. I'm more and more finding myself so glad when the season is finally over and it's all closed up. Funny how age just starts to creep up on you. 65 sure doesn't feel like 55, which even mores didn't feel like 45. Will try to summon the energy this week yet to get the cover off and go from there. Best of luck to all for a wonderful season!!!
Anthony, I'm replying to your original message. I started reading through the other replies, but by page three I gave up. I never in my life had a swimming pool until 2018. I was 71 when the pool was finished. I retired from my own professional consulting business (mostly retired; a few clients won't let go even yet), so I daily watched the work going on and daily went through the trash pile collecting owners manuals and extra parts, leftover sandstone pieces to make stepping stones, and so on, all the while questioning the wisdom of spending over $53,000 on a pool instead of taking 5-10 really nice vacation trips, while saving $2,500 a year in maintenance and taxes. I still wonder, now that I've spent a bunch of money getting a salt water chlorine generator installed and find I'm spending just as much time as before, except now I'm trying to get the right combination of settings and run time to keep the chlorine level stable plus checking pH every day and adding MA often. If you think it's hard to keep doing that in your 60's, good luck. It's not easier in your 70's, especially if you have wax myrtle trees in the yard!

Memorial DAY?! Hah!.. if I don't start my opening process by St Patty's day... I will be hosed by April sun and showers for the algae flowers in May!
Heck, I'm in Wisconsin, and March 16th the pool had a slight green tint to it. To be fair it was uncovered all winter and I didn't add any algeacide at closing either. But there was still snow on the ground!
full

By March 20th it was no longer something I could ignore.
full

But two gallons of chlorine and a few hours later it was blue again.
full

Got it filled, pump started, and a few days later it was crystal clear and has been ever since.

Heck, I'm in Wisconsin, and March 16th the pool had a slight green tint to it. To be fair it was uncovered all winter and I didn't add any algeacide at closing either. But there was still snow on the ground!
ZACTLY! you are still in winter time.. Our Mediterranean climes get started ahead of you. It's been a decade since it was cold enough at the same time it precipitated for the snow to stick! And that only happens in the dead of February.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.