Sticking sprinkler heads

GDN

Bronze Supporter
Oct 17, 2016
Dallas, TX
Invariably after the sprinkler heads get to be a couple of years old they stick in the up position. Been trying to think of what to do short of replacing them. I was thinking a shot of WD40 to the shaft. Could also use PAM perhaps. I read online and someone suggested Vaseline, but I think that would be too thick and gather too much gunk sticking to it. Any other suggestions or proven methods?

Probably nothing petroleum based - as that would act as a dust/dirt magnet. Maybe some silicone spray? Or lube the upper seal with some pool lube when installing new heads.

I have Toro 570 heads. I just usually replace them every couple of years. Unscrew the top, pull out the guts, install new guts and top - I usually leave the lower housing in place as its less messy and less work. For me anyways, it's easier doing that then remembering to relube every 6-12 months.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.