Steps in applying Magic Lube II to pump basket o-ring?

Fire

Bronze Supporter
May 30, 2019
Toronto Ontario
Sorry if this is a dumb question.
I wanted to lube my pump basket o-ring on my Hayward 2sp pump as I'm getting a small air bubble forming and becoming larger over time when running on the lower speed. My question is how to properly lubricate the o-ring. Does the o-ring need to be removed, dried and then lubed? Do I need to dry the channel that the o-ring sits in and lube that as well? Or can I simply put some lube over the o-ring where it currently is seated?
Thx

I remove the o-ring and clean it with a clean rag. Use the same rag to clean the channel. Not spotless, just to insure there is no grime or dirt that can cause issues. Use liberal amount of pool lube, i use my index finger and thumb to get a good coverage of lube on the o-ring. Install o-ring and pump basket. Clean lube off hands.

Just wanted to add a comment...the TINIEST speck of a piece of grass, leaf, etc. can cause an air leak. While you are at it, clean off the bottom lip of the plastic pump basket lid where it comes in contact with the o ring. I have cleaned and lubed this area several times...sometimes I get an air tight seal...other times I end up with air leaks and go on wild goose chases finding the leak.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ive looked multiple times...nothing. When I run the pump on high, theres only a pea size bubble.

Hmm... makes no sense I would love to see a picture of your lid with the bottom facing up and the surface of the pump basket where the lid goes on. For mine, without a gasket, the lid would just flop it wouldn't even be remotely tight.

i have a variable speed pump that i run at 60% it always has air in the top. If i put the pump on 100% all the air goes away. If i put it back on 60% i will have air. as @duraleigh said its normal at low speeds. At least for me it happens this way also.

i have a variable speed pump that i run at 60% it always has air in the top. If i put the pump on 100% all the air goes away. If i put it back on 60% i will have air. as @duraleigh said its normal at low speeds. At least for me it happens this way also.
Good to know. My only issue is that I can't just keep it on LO for a couple days straight because I'll end up getting too much air in my pump. I have to manually switch it to HI for a couple of minutes to purge the air.

You definitely have an O-ring. All pumps have an O-ring. Check the parts diagram for your model.
Alright, Im a dummy. I looked and sure enough, there it was. Tt was embedded pretty deep to the top of the lid and I guess I was looking for something loose and ready to flop out. I have a red gasket on my chlorinator that likes to fall off when I open it up.

You've got to have an o-ring. Without one your pump would be sucking copious amounts of air.
With a tight enough seal, no gaskets are required. On a ship I was on we had plugs that were installed without o-rings that we torqued the bejesus out of (torque by design, not the lack of o-ring) and they never leaked a drop. With a tight enough metal-to-metal (plastic-to-plastic in this case?) seal, gaskets are NOT required

With a tight enough seal, no gaskets are required.
I disagree in every aspect. That seal requires an o-ring and you will CRACK THE PUMP BASKET FRAME OR LID if you try not using one.

In fact, the single most common cause of leaks I see on the forum at that spot are due to over tightening. Hand tight is all that's required to make that seal. the suction from the pump draws the lid down to the oring so tight that, pump running, you can't get the lid off.

With a tight enough seal, no gaskets are required. On a ship I was on we had plugs that were installed without o-rings that we torqued the bejesus out of (torque by design, not the lack of o-ring) and they never leaked a drop. With a tight enough metal-to-metal (plastic-to-plastic in this case?) seal, gaskets are NOT required
If something is designed to seal without an O-ring, then it doesn't need an O-ring.

However, if something is designed to use an O-ring, then you need to use an O-ring.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.