step marker tiles required?

native sun

May 5, 2020
Lutz, FL
I was contemplating adding some tiles on bench and/or steps, mostly for aesthetics. Was discussing with a couple of pool owner friends, and at least one of them thought it might be Code-required. Anyone know if there is any requirement on this? (self-build so no pool builder to advise).

Thanks

It wasn’t a requirement here in code heavy Austin. In fact we hadn’t planned on them, but after seeing a friend’s pool, we added them to our design. I’m so thankful we did. Swimming and stepping is so much easier with them. It’s not expensive/not a lot of tile.

I haven't heard of a code requiring them...but maybe somewhere? We went back and forth on them and decided to go without on our current build. I just think it looks a little more modern and clean without. In looking at the pool building shows these days....they don't seem to be used at all. I can't really see them making much difference either as far as safety after using pools with and without, so we are leaving them out.

there is no code requiring them they are just kind of a must have so you can see the steps plus an easy sale at the pool companies....the other route i've seen is getting the entire step a different color that the rest of the pool

I decided to leave them out.

Do you still have time to change your mind. Just yesterday I was commenting to my wife (while in the pool), "Man, if we didn't call the audible to add these, I'd probably hate myself every time I'm in this pool." It is REALLY hard to see steps without them, you have to be like absolutely paying attention to know where to put your feet.

However, depending on your pool, it may be less of an issue than mine. I have deeper steps, that aren't consistent all the way across. The first step from the tanning ledge isn't a major issue as light refraction is pretty evident in that first 1 foot of drop, but the 3rd and 4th step are extremely hard to make up, especially when the water is churning from activity. As stated, in my case, I have steps that don't go all the way across and have frequent traffic going to/from the swim up bar on those steps. So your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.