Stenner Tank Comment

poolneophyte

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2009
Long Island, NY
I recently posted about my Stenner pump build on another thread. So far, the system is working great but I've notice one annoying thing about the Stenner 30 gallon tank. It has rained twice since the install and I've noticed that there is no way for rainwater to drain from the top of the tank. There is probably about 1/4" of standing water on top of the tank. It would be nice if there were a couple of notches in the top rim of the tank to allow water to drain. Unless I dry the top of the tank after every rain, this seems like it is going to be a breeding ground for mosquitoes during the summer. Has anybody else noticed this?

Attachments

• Stenner Tank.jpg
    Stenner Tank.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 29
Interesting - looks like it is designed that way to capture any spills while filling, which is a good idea, however I can understand the mosquito breeding ground. I guess you could pour an ounce or two of chlorine right into that and it would kill anything that decides to take up residence, but I know that isn't truly the answer you are looking for.

Came across an old thread offering some options for this. . .

...Unless I dry the top of the tank after every rain, this seems like it is going to be a breeding ground for mosquitoes during the summer. Has anybody else noticed this?

I have the 15 gallon version of the same Stenner tank and have noticed/wondered the same thing. The reservoir is there to catch any chemical overflow from the pump due to a tube failure so you wouldn't want it to drain but I agree that for our uses it does collect rainwater which creates a breading ground for mosquitos.

I have thought about putting mine under a small roof/overhang but never seem to get around to it and instead just try to keep the water out as well as possible.

Ironically, a few drops of chlorine in the standing water would prevent anything from growing in there, just not sure how to accomplish that. :)

I have the 15 gallon version of the same Stenner tank and have noticed/wondered the same thing. The reservoir is there to catch any chemical overflow from the pump due to a tube failure so you wouldn't want it to drain but I agree that for our uses it does collect rainwater which creates a breading ground for mosquitos.

I have thought about putting mine under a small roof/overhang but never seem to get around to it and instead just try to keep the water out as well as possible.

Ironically, a few drops of chlorine in the standing water would prevent anything from growing in there, just not sure how to accomplish that. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.