Stenner - someone better at figuring this out

Ok. Ordered everything but the Lowe’s push to connect and PVC T, I will go get them this weekend. I opted for the thirty gallon tank which gives me multiple options on how much I fill, diluted or not. I’m thinking of diluting 1/1 water to MA from Home Depot. They have 2 gallons for less than 14 dollars. So I will be buying 8 boxes.

If my math is correct, and someone check me. At 3 GPD that’s 48 cups / 24 hours = 2 cups per hour. I need roughly 1/2 gallon a week or 8 cups a week undiluted. Diluted 1/1 I will need 16 cups per week that’s 2.28 cups per Day. Soooooooooooo

2 cups is 30 minutes sooooooo 34 minutes is my best guess. Yes?

Diluted should last me around 30 weeks.

My plan is to run it in the middle of the pool timer program around 10:00 am. So from 10:00 - 10:34 I will be distributing acid as well as the SWG will be running. Obviously I will monitor , as I believe I may use less if it’s controlled everyday.

Any thoughts before I install all this?
I could be talked into undiluted and just fill 8 or 10 gallons worth and run it 17 or so minutes. Any thoughts on that?

Ok. Unpacked everything. I have:
1 digital timer.
1 vlow - vis
2 corrosion resistant check valves ( not sure which I am going to use these or 1 flow vis or all three. )
1 Stenner 3 GPD / 30 gallon tank with rain shield
Lowe’s 2 inch T with shark bite 1/4 inch insert for tube.

First question. It does not have a return grommet or hole into the tank for the drain tube. The instructions say not included with Econ pumps. Is it necessary? If so. Uh oh. Now I’m jury rigging stuff. How do I accomplish this without Screwing up?

Also I’m a little surprised at the screw on / off lid to the tank. While you do have to push two places to open I assumed it would be a touch harder to get into. It is certainly a wide wide mouth opening.

Appreciate any feedback before I start this on Thursday.

I’ve thought about installing a drain tube. They don’t come with it standard.

It would be a good idea I think because if the roller tube ruptures on the downstream side of the roller assembly, it would basically sit there dumping fluid out on top of the tank and down to the ground until you started noticing the concrete getting discolored by the acid.

If you do find a good rubber grommet for the new 2nd hole, please post close-ups and share where you got it!

I just used a flow-vis and it seems like it does the job. I imagine the more check valves you put on the pipes, the more head loss there will be. I figure if the pool pump isn’t running and the acid pump is for some reason, the flow vis will keep enough separation between the acid and heater.

If the power is out, then neither pump should be functioning... so no worries.

It’ll be interesting to see your set-up.

Congrats on the Stenner purchase, you’ll love it. As far as a drain tube, that’s your call. It’s more just a fail safe if the tube breaks the liquid can drain back to the reservoir. With only running it 30 min or less, I’m not sure I’d bother. I never added one to mine but then it’s just bleach. If you’re one to keep an eye on your equipment and do yearly tube replacement you’ll be fine without jury rigging anything in my opinion.

Thanks for the information. I do check it fairly regularly. I am going to leave off the drain for now. May try installing everything tomorrow or Saturday. Will post pictures once I finish. I agree with the head pressure issue. The appeal of two check valves is obvious but I am thinking it’s over kill for something running such a short period of time.

Final product.

Thanks for all the help! Installed with 10 gallons of MA and 10 gallons of water. Running initially at 22 minutes a day. Should be enough MA mix for at least half a year. Will be interesting to see where it settles in at. For now PH is sitting at 7.6. Let’s see if I can dial it in over the next few weeks to keep it there.

Attachments

• C40972B5-01AE-448E-80E6-880A834480BF.jpg
    C40972B5-01AE-448E-80E6-880A834480BF.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 65
Update # 2.

Ok. 9 day update. So far my PH has been stuck at 7.8 ish . I initially had it around 7.5 - 7.6 when I started the Stenner. It took me three days to remember I had decided to dilute the MA 1/1 and realize I needed to double the output timer. In those 3 days it crept up to where it is now. Today, just to play with it a little, I added enough MA manually to bring it down to 7.4. I am interested in seeing if,no matter where I force the PH, it will hold that with the auto dosing.
Regardless, I can say with great joy I am looking forward to a long stretch of time before I have to fool with MA. ( at least 22 weeks!!!! I started with 20 gallons).

All i I can say is I wish I had done this sooner. A true TFP pool now!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Congrats! I remember when I first fired my acid Stenner up, I was putting in roughly twice what I do now for the better part of a month till things stabilized.
I think I was used to doing a weekly gallon or two to knock it down to 7.5. It was likely creeping back up or staying elevated on days I wasn’t adjusting chemicals. So dosing it daily to try to hold it steady was burning more acid than I was used to.

Maybe the acid lowered the alkalinity enough to make it more effective at adjusting PH or something? Anyhow, now it takes about 2-3 cups a day to maintain 7.5, which is easier to stomach than the 6-7 cups a day when I first started out.

Back Yard,
I have always suspected that daily addictions would slow the volume of MA needed versus the once a week mega-dose from 8.0 to 7.5. It seems so far this may in fact be true. This is the 5th day since I lowered the pool to 7.4. As of today it basically has not moved a bit. Ahhhhhhhhhh the freedom from rising PH and constant MA pours!!:party::party::whoot::whoot::bowdown::bowdown::rockon::rockon:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.