stenner setup running! yay

Dec 28, 2013
apollo beach,fl
I still have to tidy a few things up, cords, run a conduit and outlet to the enclosure,mount timer stuff,etc, this was a get er done quick thing.

Picked up the pump, got an enclosure on ebay pretty cheap...i was going to get the stenner rain hood but i just didn't
trust that with the driving storms (hurricanes,etc) and sun here and most plastic outside bakes pretty soon. Tank the same ebay, i think it was
34 bucks shipped...there were tanks around town on craiglist for 10-15 bucks but 20 bucks or so not to drive out, burn gas and 1-2 hours time was worth it
to me. Vents were soffit vents from HD.

The timer is just what i had. Was originally going to go with combined intermatic PE103 but decided to save few bucks in the meantime while i saw how i liked
the stenner. Outlet is only live with the pump. I'll probably flip this cheapie timer out with something else, this is what i had on hand to get up and running.

So far the thing is great! I'm watching the temps in the box, i put some vent holes in, and so far i'm doing 30m a day in the morning while i get things dialed in.
so far the box temps look tolerable measuring motor temp with an infrared (the thermal limit on these docs say is 125). If temps get too hot I'll probably put a 110v->12v dc fan in and a better vent system.

What a huge improvement after i let the pool get trashed by not maintaining things and used to use a puck feeder. I've got my tftest kit, i understand the chem basics now, and have this thing dosing regularly. In fact yesterday i was showing a neighbor and forgot to cut the pump switch back on, tonight i tested chlorine it was low, realized i left the switch off, 30m later back up =)

Big thank you to the help i've gotten off troublefreepool!

Attachments

• stenner1.JPG
    stenner1.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 319
  • stenner2.JPG
    stenner2.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 318
I went ahead and ordered a 110v fan,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180926231010?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

it will plug into the other timer outlet and i'll mount it to the venthole next to the motor or on the bottom.

If i don't exhaust on the bottom i'll replace that vent with one of these (or just a 90 dev pvc pipe with a down turn) just to make sure no driving rains get
in there with the fan

http://www.alldataresource.com/prod...FQOSaQodHZ4ASA#first-item-description-heading

I think if you made a baffle that directed the airflow from the stenner to an vent it would probably work just as well..just so it's not pumping the air
back into the box. I'm not tripping the stenner thermal cut off but figured for a few bucks more i'd have more piece of mind.

One thing i've been pondering is a barrel gauge since i went with the blue tank. cheap way (with some type of nipple at the bottom of the tank)

http://www.rainbarrelsrus.com/rain_barrel_gauge.html
http://www.media-organic.com/wp-content/gallery/rain-barrels/img_5575.jpg

May be handy if you ever need to drain the tank too.

or i'm thinking some kind of plastic or fiberglass rod with a float on it, and just make a hole in the top. Doubt it will be that useful though, once you have 7+ gallons
in the tank just buy a gallon every week.

This thing has made my life so much easier the last week...every day i check the pool chlorine level i'm spot on.

well i wasn't thinking the other night and wasn't paying attention, the fan is large 120mm so i've put that on hold...was
paying to much attention to the 110v

Ran into this specifically for cases

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...=sGAEpiMZZMsrGrAVj6eTvcWApOQhEdapSF2wKjkMwg8=

which will accept a 60mm case fan without having to jerry rig something so we'll see how that works out when it arrives.
I have a few 12v dc 60mm case fans, and i'll wire up a 12v dc wall wart and plug into the 2 outlet timer so both the stenner and
case fan will operate at the same time.

Got the vent in and an 60mm 110v case fan. Haven't taken any temp measurements but i've been running
the past week forgetting to open the box and the motor has been fine. But this will be extra insurance...it
does get pretty warm in there but it hasn't tripped the thermal limit.

DSC_0015+11.JPG

DSC_0017+9.JPG

Still need to tidy up wiring and a few things. The fan was afterthought so had to make it work where I already had
an existing hole from the other vents then of course it was too far back and i had to modify the back plate.

If i redo it or did it again i'd probably put the stenner outlets sticking outside the box, and would move the fan top right as I wouldn't
be able to lift the stenner up in it's bracket if I did that.

The fan has helped the heat in the box a lot since installing it the other day. Though it's been cloudy and cooler the last week,
i can tell it's made a big difference. Used to be i'd open the box and worry about the temp...you could tell it was building up but
it wasn't tripping the motor limit. Now i open it and it's pretty much the same temp as outside except for the immediate heat flow
output around the fan. I pretty much have it on cruise control now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.