Stenner pump pumping too much

Jun 26, 2014
Austin, Texas
I have a Stenner 45MHP10 pumping chlorine. It is maybe 3 or 4 years old, and other than replacing duck valves and pump tubes has been great.

Recently I found it pumping too much into the pool. I tried turning down the flow adjustment, but the adjuster ring seems to be stuck on about #3. When it runs, it pumps almost non-stop.

Any ideas what's wrong and if it can be fixed? I can always order a new pump but would prefer not.

Thanks

David

They also have service manuals on their site. There are a few parts in the adjustable section.

If you look on page 41 of the Stenner service manual you'll see a breakdown of the parts. Since it doesn't appear to change rates when turning the dial, it's most likely the Variable Cam. If you look on page 24 of that manual it tells you that it's the Variable Cam either disengaged or broken.

They also have service manuals on their site. There are a few parts in the adjustable section.

If you look on page 41 of the Stenner service manual you'll see a breakdown of the parts. Since it doesn't appear to change rates when turning the dial, it's most likely the Variable Cam. If you look on page 24 of that manual it tells you that it's the Variable Cam either disengaged or broken.

Thanks! I was looking on the website for troubleshooting, but didn't see the manual. I'll check this out in the morning.

Bama,

It was the cam. Not broken, but grooved and mangled. Too bad I didn't check the thread earlier, I already ordered a repair kit. The cam and lifter are pretty worn, and maybe could be reused, but it didn't cost much more for the kit than the cam alone.

Thanks for the help!

David

I tied the pump into my home automation system where I have the ability to set the timer in one second increments, so I just set the adjustment dial to 10 and ran it on time. When I needed to replace a part on the pump, I just took that opportunity to remove the adjustable section of the pump and go with a straight fixed pump. The conversion kit isn't very expensive.

I could have just left the dial set to 10, but I'm one of those guys that don't like unnecessary parts doing nothing, so I removed it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I tied the pump into my home automation system where I have the ability to set the timer in one second increments, so I just set the adjustment dial to 10 and ran it on time. When I needed to replace a part on the pump, I just took that opportunity to remove the adjustable section of the pump and go with a straight fixed pump. The conversion kit isn't very expensive.

I could have just left the dial set to 10, but I'm one of those guys that don't like unnecessary parts doing nothing, so I removed it.
Perfect, thanks. I have the adjustable ( just got it and not installed yet ) and my plan is to leave it on 10 ( 85 GPD ) and use my timer set up to add the correct amount needed per day. In the future if / when i get a replacement repair issue i can then do as you, thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.