Hwmeador

May 8, 2022
Ft worth, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So my experiment this year with tank and Stenner pump has been positive thus far until the last couple of days. I came home from a trip out of town to find that the injection line had leaked and sprayed liq chlorine all over my equipment. It looks like the line had developed a pin hole. I cut out the bad section and put it back together and all was good…. For only 24 hours. The next day there was a tiny pin hole and chlorine leaking out again. This time I replaced the entire line from the pump to the injection point.

Is this line highly susceptible to UV/ Heat? It has been super hot here with days into the 110F. What are my solutions? Unfortunately my pump and equipment are in the the full Sun during the afternoon. I was thinking about getting some darker colored tubing of a larger diameter to act as a shield.

The sun and UV can be brutal on plastic tubing as can the hot liquid chlorine sitting in the line. You should consider replacing tubing every year.

As for protecting it, I would suggest you look at getting mesh wire loom cable sleeving. The sleeves come in different diameters, colors and lengths and they easily wrap around tubing and wiring that is already in place without having to thread one tube/wire into another. I use the sleeves on all my external wires to protect them from rodents and the sun.

Yes, I planned to replace yearly. However, this line set only lasted 3 months since I installed it new.

I will look into the looms. I was just curious as to how much improvement I could potentially get from protecting the line.

Maybe an obvious comment, but are you using the black, uv resistant tubing?

For shielding, you could use a larger diameter shrink tubing, and don't shrink it. And if your tubing did start leaking, it would stop it from spraying over stuff.
I never tried this, just thought of it.

When I was running a stenner, my tubes developed holes too. Other problem I had is having to clean out the fittings, especially elbows. They clogged over time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.