Stenner pump install

Jul 1, 2017
Cedar Park/Texas
I just placed an order for a Stenner pump fixed rate 100PSI 10GPD with 1/4 UV. :) Going to use a digital light timer to control run time.

Planning to get a 15 gallon blue jug container to hold my chlorine, but had a a few questions.

1. Should I continue getting 12% liquid chlorine from pool store or just do 6% bleach? Wondering if time and heat will make the benefit of 12% mute.
2. Can i mix different percentages of chlorine in the tank?
3. I have seen a T pipe on some of the install posts that I like and was wondering what size the injection port needs to be in order to screw it straight in?

Any other recommendations for my new install?

thanks
-David

Mixing isn't a problem, but your run time will depend on the strength and your pool's demand. Where and what percentage you buy is usually determined on a balance of price/convenience/percentage. Walmart 10% is cheaper and easier than Leslie's 12%. Haven't really sought out other sources yet.

It comes in 2 sizes. The smaller thread is 1/4 NPT and the Larger part is 3/8 NPT. When I made mine I just brought the injector to Home Depot and fit everything. You will need to use and adapter into the T-Fitting. Wasnt hard to do at all.

bard. is the walmart 10% the pool essentials? it sells for 3.64 at my Walmart and never went on sale. Leslie's sells 4 * 12% for 17.99. Unless I am mistaken it seems like Leslie is my cheapest option. I can also get HASS refill from a local pool place for 4* 12% at 18.99 and I have been for a while as I was having trouble with the recycling folks not taking the non-refill cans a few times. Any issue with topping off the tank vs letting it run down before? Do you notice a lot of loss on the 10% over time sitting outside?

Regnar: Guess I will hold off on shopping for the parts till the pump arrives. Im sure that will save me a few trips to Home depot. Do you keep your tank outside in the sun? what concentration of chlorine do you use? I am getting a blue 15 gallon tank and unfortunately it will be sitting outside in the Texas sun/heat.

Thanks

You can always do like I did, and bury the container beside the pool pad to keep it out of the sun, and keep it a bit cooler than sitting in the hot air.
The black top you see is the top of a 55gallon barrel that I have buried beside the pool pad. The Stenner is mounted on the back of the boards between the uprights (unseen in this picture).
I buy a 55 gallon barrel of 12.5% bleach when needed, and siphon into the buried one.

OP3dQtX.jpg

Interesting idea on putting it in the ground. I think I will be sticking to gallon size for purchase. I tried calling around and had no luck finding a bulk chlorine provider. Janitorial supply places would sell me 1 gallon cans in bulk cases(not much saving over Walmart) and chemical places would not sell to a non business.

I don't think the 15 gallon will do well in ground but I guess I could get a 55 and it would be mostly empty most of the time but structurally better.

Regnar: Do you keep your tank outside in the sun? what concentration of chlorine do you use? I am getting a blue 15 gallon tank and unfortunately it will be sitting outside in the Texas sun/heat.

Thanks

I use 12.5% from Pinch A Penny. My tank is 8 gallons and sits inside a box out in the sun. Not ideal and during the summer it requires me to go to the store every 3 weeks. I have not noticed any ill effect but I am not going months without fresh chlorine.

Thanks for the info. I have seen a few posts about using a trash can to house the 15 gallon and help keep it cool.

Thinking of getting a 55gal plastic drum along with the 15gal with a plastic snap lid fill the bottom with some rocks or sand and then place the 15 gallon inside and drill holes for pipe as needed.

Goal being to hopefully lower heat, prevent it from blowing away with the crazy wind we have sometimes, and catch any possible leaks.

Reactions: toys4dlr
bard. is the walmart 10% the pool essentials? it sells for 3.64 at my Walmart and never went on sale. Leslie's sells 4 * 12% for 17.99. Unless I am mistaken it seems like Leslie is my cheapest option. I can also get HASS refill from a local pool place for 4* 12% at 18.99 and I have been for a while as I was having trouble with the recycling folks not taking the non-refill cans a few times. Any issue with topping off the tank vs letting it run down before? Do you notice a lot of loss on the 10% over time sitting outside?

Yes, Pool Essentials brand. Leslies breaks down to $0.294/oz vs. Walmart $0.284/oz. I use 3.2 gal/week right now. When it gets down to ~gallon or so, I add 4 gals from my stash in the garage. I haven't noticed any degradation issues.

The regular stenner check valve for the 1/4" tubing has two sets of threads: 1/4" and 1/2" NPT. I used this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009F3JTFK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 you can get it for 1.5" and 2" pipe. I also used Oatey's Great White as a thread sealant.

I put my tank in the basement since my pool pad is only 2' away from it. I don't have any results to report as the electrician won't hook up my new outlet for the pump until later today. I won't be able to test it until i get back from vacation next week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
While my Stenner tank sits outside, it avoids direct sunlight for most of the day, but it sits in the head. I add 4 gallons of 12.5% when it gets down to about a gallon. I've read a lot on this site regarding the breakdown of chlorine in the heat, and while I believe it does break down, my results suggest it does not do so at the rates specified. It is basically a week's worth of LC in the tank at a time. I've had no issues with the daily dose missing the calculated numbers, save letting the tank run dry -- but that is operator error.

I'm just down the street from you in Round Rock. Truth be told, I love my Stenner!

1) I would get what is cheapest, which sounds like the 12%
2) Yes, but then your calculations would be difficult. I wouldn't.
3) If you are interested, I could post a pic of my injection point. I don't have a picture readily available, or I would have just done so.

Bandit5 thanks for the info. I plan to replace the pipe that has my chlorinator and using this will make the install nice and clean.

Stodds: Great to see another fellow Texas on the site. I would not mind a photo when you have some time. My pump arrives Thursday, but I may be delayed on getting my install done. I had DE in my pool so I opened up my multi-port to check the spider gasket and along with a bad gasket I noticed that the inside was fairly brittle and cracked at the touch. :( Waiting for a replacement from Inyo that should be here Friday. In the mean time I put in a U to connect pump out into return to allow me to at least circulate water and add chlorine while I wait.

No worries on the delay. I just got my pool back up and running last Thursday and still waiting on my blue tank to come in.
Going to end up re-doing my pad plumbing this weekend to install the tap for the Stenner check valve and fix some leaky fittings, and shorten the runs to the de filter.

Hopefully the following weekend I can work to get the pump all setup and start enjoying the automation.

The pictures are appreciated and gave me a few things to consider.

Did some plumbing today and installed a T like Bandit5 recommended, but ran into some problems installing the check valve.

A 1/2 inch screw cap goes in fine to the threads but the check valve does not seem to be able to get a grip on the threads.

The threads don't look messed up on the check valve, so I am wondering what I may be doing wrong. Is the thread the standard size or more fine?

Any ideas? Going to look for a 1/2 to 1/4 adapter before I order another check valve to rule out bad threads.

-David

Okay I was able to get the check valve screwed in with the correct fitting after a trip to Home depot.

I was hoping to have the check valve installed and waiting while i get the rest of the stuff setup. However my check valve seems to have a slow leak it bubbles slowly and then drips a drop every second or so.

Is it normal for it to let a small amount of water through and have the pump rollers stop it or do I have a bad check valve?

Thanks
-David

The pumps that don't have a check valve are rated for 25PSI. But to be honest with you my tube sprung a leak most likely due to the sun deterring the material ( Purchased wrong tube) I had a small drip that had almost no pressure behind it.

Regnar

Do you have a check valve on your setup? Does the pump hold back the pressure from the small drip so it does not fill your chlorine tank?

Scanning some of the posts on here about check valve leak it seems like some people have a similar leak, but a few state they have no water come back at all. Hard to tell what is the norm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.