Bronze Supporter
Sep 6, 2018
New Braunfels, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am looking to move into the Stenner world and leave the heinous pucks behind forever!

I currently have an EasyTouch PSL4 (don’t shoot me, it has served me well thus far) with a Pentair VSF pump, Pentair UltraTemp heat pump and Ozone generator (wiredto come on with the pump).
My pool is 17,000 gallons. I’m planning on installing a Stenner 15gal tank and I’m unsure which pump to purchase.

I would like to wire the pump into an available Aux port in EasyTouch so that it will come on only when the pump is running. I would like the ability to program the Stenner pump on a separate schedule, allowing it to be adjusted adhoc.

Here is where I could use your help:

1.) Stenner pump model number suggestion (based on utilizing my EasyTouch as the timer)

2.) Wiring diagram/instructions for installing Stenner pump into EasyTouch - I would for it to only run when the pool pump is on and the timer schedule is activated.

Thank you!

Brandon

Brandon,
I'm just one step ahead of you, so I'll offer a few things that I learned to order my Stenner pump / 15 gallon system last week. It's so new, its still in the box and I'll be asking some questions myself in a future thread before I hook it up.

My goals might be a bit different in that you are most likely dosing acid and I will be dosing liquid chlorine. Please clarify which you are doing, since the GPD (gallons per day) need for MA is pretty small.

Anyway:
- Stenner has a wonderful, and overwhelming catalog that you can download. I suggest you do this first so you can see the pump models, and just as important all of the trim options (voltage, inlet tubing size, inlet tubing color, outlet tubing for EVERY pump model that they make)
- Stenner tech. support is GREAT! I called twice and got really nice and experienced help both times that helped me a lot with my buying decision; suggest you have the catalog available before you call these guys
- it seems that a lot of TFP users have been installing Stenner ECON T (timer) series pumps that are programmable; I wanted to run my Stenner off of my Pentair Intellitouch control panel so that I did not have to manually syncronize separate times for my filter pump and the Stenner. So, I did not want a timer, but I did need a 220v Stenner to work with my Pentair control system. Stenner calls this pump model their "classic".
- Stenner's lowest flow rate "classic" pump is 3 Gallons per day; that's what I purchased, and that may be a bit low for my chlorine dosing, but that's not really too many minutes a day if you are dosing acid
- Stenner makes an adjustable classic pump too that has an adjustment to dose at a flow rate of 0.2 to 3 GPD (gallons per day); some TFP users have reported that the adjustable pumps make a noise, so that may or may not be a factor for your installation

Now, regarding your hookup and your question #2. Hopefully you have an unused 220v relay for a pressure side (aka Polaris) booster pump. And if you do, then Pentair's programming for that relay would ensure that your pool pump is running whenever the Stenner is running.

For my order this is what I wanted, along with what was available to actually order:
- classic 45 series 3 GPD pump (but got the adjustable 45MJH for a reasonable price, in stock, and I plan to run it a 100% so it should not click)
- S1G (15 gallon Gray UV protected tank); you'd probably prefer the whitish tank if you're doing acid (cooler if in sun and easier to see the liquid level)
- needed low pressure model (but got the 100psi model which adds a check valve that can be removed to behave like the lower pressure model; again, this was what was in stock)
- "B" motor = 220v
- "2" tubing 1/4" black UV (suction and discharge tubing)
- "S" Santoprene tube material

Fresh Water Systems sold me item # S1G45MJH1B2S for $448.59 (less 5% new customer discount and + tax to Texas and free shipping).

Good luck and you are welcome to report back more details as your Stenner order plays out.

Cheers,

Jim

Jim,

Thank you for all of the info. This project will be liquid chlorine. If everything works like I’m thinking, I’d like to dose MA down the road.

I opened the EasyTouch this evening to discover Aux 3 relay was unused. I was unsure if I needed to hardwire a 220v Steener or if I needed a 110v with an external plug. I want the pool pump to trigger the Stenner, and this is where the 220/110 confusion comes into play. I’ve read everything I could find on TFP regarding Stenner wiring with Pentair automation, but it seems the systems had a SWG and it runs 220v and the Stenner needs to match. Since I’m not running an SWG, I’m wondering if I can run a 110v Stenner from an external GFCI outlet, hardwired to Aux 3?

I built my house myself and even did all of the electrical, but these old school, rudimentary automation systems are perplexing to me.

Anyway, we appear to be in the same boat and I appreciate all of the info. Keep me posted on your progress.

Thanks again!

Brandon

Last edited:
Brandon,

Since you will be dosing liquid chlorine too, I guess we are indeed in the same boat!

So, regarding "trim" for a LC dosing system, prefix for a 15 gallon gray w/ UV protection (definitely want this for chlorine) is S1G. If you are not height constrained (as I am), the 30 gallon tank is probably a better idea for dosing liquid chlorine.

Core pump is 6 letters/numbers (see their catalog for full details on GPD, variable volume or fixed flow rate, and low or high pressure). Regarding low/high pressure, either will work so go for pricing and availability. The low pressure (25 psi) or high pressure (100 psi) are actually very similar. Best I can gather, there is only a single "duck-bill" check valve that is included in the 100 psi model and it can be removed. All we need is low pressure for pools since we are injecting on the downstream side of the filter (and we will NEVER see more than 25 psig there). I got the high pressure model, purely due to price and availability. Regarding 3 GPD or 10 GPD, I wanted a 3 GPD fixed speed because we run our Texas pools 365 days/year and my pool's chlorine demand in the winter months is very low. And in the end, purchased an adjustable (max. 3 GPD) model due to again, price and availability :).

Next A or B (for 120v or 220v) - your choice; I only have 220v in my panel, so I had to have the "B".

And finally, according to Stenner tech. support we want 2S for LC dosing (1/4" UB black and Santoprene for the parastolic pump tube).

Stenner trim screen grab.png

Other comments:
- Relays don't care whether you have 120v or 220v
- I personally would choose using your existing 220v (in your panel) vs. introducing a GCFI 120v. cord presumably coming from a plug into a socket
- In my first post I mentioned that you may want to use the "cleaner" relay for your Stenner. If your Pentair control panel works like my Intellitouch for a cleaner, it guarantees that your filter pump will be running at all times when the cleaner relay is active. My Intellitouch panel actually delays the cleaner a minimum of 5 minutes of the filter pump running (presumably to insure filter pump is primed) before it activates the filter relay.
- if you Aux 3 is totally programmable for anything you want, you could certainly use that as well and then it's up to you to insure your filter pump and Stenner settings are synchronized properly; or, save aux 3 for acid dosing at some later date?
- I purchased a "system", but you can certainly buy the tank and pump separately; Stenner tech support said you need to order the "rain roof" (p/n MP90000) if you are buying pump and tank separately to make your own system.

Regards,

Jim

Thank you so much for your help and for the rainproof info, I didn’t realize that was separate. Unfortunately my PB installed a EasyTouch PSL4, which is extremely basic. The PSL4 doesn’t have a cleaner relay, so I’m relegated to using my only available relay, Aux 3. I would love the ability to install an automated MA system, wiring it into the PSL4, but that’s a project for down the road.

Based on my automation and equipment pad setup, I‘m leaning to installing a 110v GFCI plug that can be placed within 6’ of the Stenner pump and wired into Aux 3. I have referenced the Stenner website and I’m leaning towards a S1G45MFL2AS system:

15gal gray tank
110v classic fixed, 10GPD/25 PSI pump
1/4” Santoprene black suction/discharge tubing

I’ll keep you posted of the progress.

Thanks again,

Brandon

P.S. Where in Houston are you? I used to live in Cinco and I’m in New Braunfels now. I commute to Houston often and stay at 610/San Felipe area. The city is growing too quickly!

Brandon (TxHr),

1. Regarding PSL4 with no booster pump relay, wow that model really is basic
2. Regarding future MA dosing, you may not even need that; my pool's appetite for LC is huge and requires feeding daily, whereas I'm only adding a wee bit of acid about once per week
3. Regarding 10 GPD / 25 PSI fixed, sounds good to me
4. Regarding location, I'm in First Colony in Sugar Land, and I have family in Cinco Ranch too!; if you can figure out how to PM at TFP, send me your cell and we can maybe get together sometime when you're in town. Regarding your living in New Braunfels, nice, I have great memories of floating the river, but it's been a few years since we've done that.

I've opened my new Stenner "system" and it did come with the MP90000, which is just a simple piece of plastic, but I don't think I'd want to run without it.

Have you seen my Stenner questions thread? It was suggested that I bury it, and that's my current plan. That will help in my yard with both aesthetics and keeping the LC a bit cooler.

Brandon,

The AC power that turns on your Stenner needs to come through your Pump/Filter relay.. This relay only closes when the pump is running in the Pool or Spa mode. Take the voltage from the load side of the pump/filter relay and jumper it over the line side of the unused Aux 3 relay.. You would wire the Load side of the Aux 3 relay to an outlet that powers the Stenner..

You could use either 240 volts or 120 volts, but it makes the most sense to use what is currently on the pump/filter relay.. I would assume that it 240 volts AC..

Then you just schedule your Aux 3 to come on at a time the pump is scheduled to run.. The length of time you leave the Aux 3 relay closed will determine the amount of acid the the pump moves. It would be best to pump a little acid a few times a day, but with a PS"L"4 you are limited to a total of 4 schedules.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.