Stenner for Acid

spoonman

Jun 16, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Hi folks

Recently I added a Stenner system to dose my pool daily with chlorine. It has worked like a dream!!

Now I’m curious about automating the pH by adding a second Stenner for acid. I know some folks have done this but I’m a bit hesitant to do this though because if not watched carefully the pool could overdose on acid resulting in damaging pH levels.

Has anyone added a Stenner for acid without using a pH sensor? Looking to find out how well it worked to simply dial in the correct acid dose. Did the pH stay fairly constant or did the amount have to be constantly recalibrated?

Sorry, can't really help with any first hand experience. I've given some thought to dosing acid with a Stenner and my plan is to use a pump that doses an easily multipliable amount like 2oz./min then calculate acid demand using pool math. I will then use either my iAquaLink or a smart outlet to run manually (supervised) for the necessary time.

I dont think I would want to risk setting up a daily dosing schedule given the nature of acid. The one time my feed line popped off and spilled bleach everywhere for two days wasn't a big deal with bleach but acid would have sucked.

The Stenner (or any compatible dosing pump) will work well for acid dosing IF you have a steady acid demand. If you're manually adding pretty close to the same amount of acid each day then the Stenner and a timer (or the Econ T) will work well for you.

Thanks Bama. My pool needs acid added 2-3 times per week. Honestly though I don’t focus that much on the amount, I just use the acid demand test and add what’s needed. I’d say about 1.5 pints each time I test (holding TA around 50 to control pH rise). Suppose I could simulate automation by adding the same small amount of acid each day to see where the pH holds.

My acid demand has dropped considerable a few years after replastering. I keep my PH on the low side (7.2 ish) and only have to add a little MA every couple of weeks. I wouldn't feel comfortable having a pump handle full strength MA additions in the event of a tubing break or other problem. Maybe a diluted, lower strength type would be a better option for automated setups...

Never seen the IPS controllers before. Looks similar to the Stenner Econ T, with the addition of sensors for pH and ORP.

I’ve been considering just adding another Stenner Econ T for acid (already have one for chlorine) without a sensor as I’ve heard the pH sensors need constant recalibration. Is this true?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What I have found is that the pH stays more stable then the ORP, but only somewhat so. But you need to keep the sensors and sensor canister cleaned and maintained correctly. I do it every few months. But key is maintaining TA, making sure you keep 30ppm CYA as close as possible(best to not be over that) and not below by much, and proper CH. And if you have a Salt System, keeping that perfect too(IntelliChlor @3600ppm salt), but also water temp is very important in that equation. So these systems work best in a pool that is ready to swim in all year long.

The IPS system(Liquid Chlorine/Acid) is somewhat new to me, I did install it though. But think it could be better system for a pool that gets use only in the swim season. As SWCG are water temperature sensitive.

My acid demand has dropped considerable a few years after replastering. I keep my PH on the low side (7.2 ish) and only have to add a little MA every couple of weeks. I wouldn't feel comfortable having a pump handle full strength MA additions in the event of a tubing break or other problem. Maybe a diluted, lower strength type would be a better option for automated setups...
With keeping your pH at 7.2 what is your typical CSI/LSI?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.