Stemming Daily FC Loss = Increase CYA?

Completed my first SLAM early last week and the CYA was 30 during the entire SLAM process. Due to significant FC lost of 10ppm per day post SLAM, I raised the CYA to 40 over the weekend.

The increase in CYA to 40 helped stem the daily FC loss to 6ppm per day. It takes a little under 2 gallons of 10% LC to increase the FC 6ppm and the cost is adding up so I am planning to raise my CYA to at least 50.

It seems that folks in sunny/hotter regions of the US tend to maintain their CYA between 50-60. Since I am new to taking care of a pool, does anyone see any issues raising the CYA to 50 or 60? My goal is to get the CYA level to where my daily summer FC loss requires a gallon or less of 10% LC a day (@ a FC loss of 3.5 daily).

A slight nuance: I plan on taking a couple 3-day mini trips with the family over the summer and will likely raise the FC to SLAM levels and toss a couple trichlor pucks into the floater in advance of those trips.

In addition, the pool receives at least 10hrs of direct sunlight daily.

Thanks!

I would suggest raising CYA to 50 ppm. It should be about right in your climate.

Depending on how warm your water gets in the summer, the CYA will degrade some. So use of a couple pucks while gone on vacation will not be an issue.

I get that you want to limit your LQ purchases, but keep in mind that you've got a BIG pool! You pay more for that pleasure, LOL.

You're right about folks in hot sunny climes tweaking their CYA to try to fight the FC sacrifice to the sun.
Try it in steps but first make sure you're totally algae free so that you're not needing more LQ than ever for a SLAM.

Let us know how its working out for you?

Thanks all.

I've run the OCLT test every other day since the SLAM process was completed and so far so good. I just need to buy more reagent cause I've been testing so much. LOL.

The info on this board and the advice has been great in getting my pool under control from years of "professional" pool maintenance.

I'll bump the CYA to 50 this week and gauge the FC consumption. I hope the CYA bump will stem the daily FC drop by 40-50%.

To a point. With a non-SWCG pool the range for CYA is 30-50 with some members in very high heat areas going to 60 ppm CYA. Above that is not necessary and problematic as the target level FC reaches above were normal pH testing is accurate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.