steel wall skimmer gasket install

Pittdave79

Hi there

I cant make sense of these instructions.

Hayward 1084s with cork style gaskets, standard install.

The directions show a gasket between the exterior wall and the skimmer, and other gasket between the inside of the liner and the faceplate, but both gaskets are sized for the faceplate. An exterior gasket would have to be at least two inches wider to fit the precut holes in the steel walls, and those holes do fit the skimmer, and the screw holes match the spacers. So it seems haywards directions and the parts included imply two different things, one of which is not possible.

So does one of the gaskets go between the interior of the steel wall and the faceplate, then the other gasket between the faceplate and the liner? I cant make sense of this. Nothing but above ground and gunite skimmer videos out there.

Thanks in advance.

if we are looking at the same instructions - it looks like it calls for the gaskets to be arranged as follows: faceplate | gasket | liner | wall | gasket | skimmer

View attachment 342981

I agree with you. However, the pool wall manufacturer's precut holes are way bigger than the gaskets provided by Hayward. That said, the skimmer throat fits nicely. It appears only way is one gasket on each side of liner.

i found this

Reactions: Pittdave79
My polymer walled pool the pre-cut hole for the skimmer was large enough so the whole face of the skimmer actually protruded through the wall slightly. There were pre-drilled holes in the wall on both sides and the bottom of the hole that were for screws to pass through into a flange on the skimmer. The gaskets then went on the face of the skimmer and on the faceplate...so that the liner was sandwiched between gaskets. I used a light smear of silicone on the skimmer face and on the faceplate to make the gaskets stick. I let it dry for a few hours before I hung my liner.

Like this:
Capture.JPG

ETA:

Here is a picture of mine...you can see the 3 screws on either side and 2 screws on the bottom that hold the skimmer to the wall. These are tapered head screws that were flush with the wall once installed. The skimmer face actually sticks out past the wall by 3/16" or so.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Pittdave79

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.