Static shock off water

Sabin1983

May 21, 2019
West Midlands
Hi I’m new here but looking for some advice. We have got a 2m round lazy spa tub. Which has the heater on the side. We have been using it for last 2 years problem free. It has its own supply off the garage board. It’s on a plug top. So 20amp supply off a 20amp rcbo is fine. The garage board is fed of the house board in 10mm armoured. The hot tub is sat on top of decking and an insulated Matt. I removed cover to remove something out the tub and got a like a static shock. I get it all the time now. Never done this before. Pls help kids driving me mad to use it again

Massive thanks in advance

It has its own supply off the garage board. It’s on a plug top. So 20amp supply off a 20amp rcbo is fine. The garage board is fed of the house board in 10mm armoured.

I am not sure I understand British lingo. Plug top? You mean it is plugged into a wall outlet and not hard wired?

Rcbo? What is that? 10mm armoured is what? The wiring?

Is it connected to a GFCI outlet or CB?

Does the shock stop when you unplug it?

Since you're not from the U.S. I don't have a ton of experience with your electrical system, but I know some.

It sounds like you have two problems. One is that it doesn't appear that the tub is grounded, and two, the heater element could be bad causing the water to become energized. However, the RCBO (GFCI in the US) should trip in those conditions.

Check to make sure that the RCBO is wired correctly, and that you have a good solid ground to the tub.

Reactions: PoolguyinCT
Hi I’m new here but looking for some advice. We have got a 2m round lazy spa tub. Which has the heater on the side. We have been using it for last 2 years problem free. It has its own supply off the garage board. It’s on a plug top. So 20amp supply off a 20amp rcbo is fine. The garage board is fed of the house board in 10mm armoured. The hot tub is sat on top of decking and an insulated Matt. I removed cover to remove something out the tub and got a like a static shock. I get it all the time now. Never done this before. Pls help kids driving me mad to use it again

Massive thanks in advance

The best way to solve this would be to get an electrician to have a look. If the static is not caused by removing the cover, then you have an electrical fault in your hot tub AND on your electrical installation. Do NOT use it until they have both been checked by a qualified electrician. Just pressing the Test button on the RCD/RCBO is insufficient. Turn it off, unplug it and if possible lock-off the isolator. Tell others not to use it.

What kind of plug have you got on this? The factory fitted one should be fine and not removed. You can only get 13A, 16A or 32A rated plugs, which are the nearest rated ones for the 20A supply you say that you have to your garage.

Hopefully it is just static discharge from your clothes/cover and you don’t have any repairs to make . :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.