Startup and hello algae

Hi guys. Tfp user for a couple years. Had a new liner put in last year, and bought a brand new tarp cover. I was so disheartened when I opened to dark green water. I'm slamming, but what can I do to better protect my pool over the cold months? I have a swg gotta update my sig, but I disconnect everything and store because we do get freezing temps here in TN. Any tips?

Hi guys. Tfp user for a couple years. Had a new liner put in last year, and bought a brand new tarp cover. I was so disheartened when I opened to dark green water. I'm slamming, but what can I do to better protect my pool over the cold months? I have a swg gotta update my sig, but I disconnect everything and store because we do get freezing temps here in TN. Any tips?

Did you follow the TFP closing info in Pool School? This is our fourth season following TFP, and I always open to a clear pool. The best prevention for algae is to close cold (less than 60F) & open cold (before the pool reaches 60F).

I'm following this too. I open and close using this method for several years and always open when air and water are continually just less than 60 and also we don't close until almost Thanksgiving. I live on the coast of NC and it is very common to have 80-degree weather on Christmas Day for three to five days and then have freezing snow the following week. The fluctuation in temperature is common all winter. My pool is green every opening.

I SLAM the pool every year following the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] and cover. I have always opened to crystal clear water with the exception of this year. I never covered last year due to a surgery I couldn't avoid any longer in August.

in addition to closing late and opening early, when you close bring your FC levels up to shock. My pool is clear but a little slimey. I closed at 16 FC and I opened it to 0 FC. I get so much rain though here in the northeast though and had to drain my pool 3 times this winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.