Starting with the TFPC method.

OscarB

Bronze Supporter
Aug 30, 2018
Mantua/nj
Hi everyone,

I’m new to this forum and will be using this method to sanitize my pool this season. Just a few questions as I start to get ready. I have a mineral cartridge filter. I know I am not going to use it this year. Do I have to replace the filter housing or can I just leave the cartridge in there with the minerals depleted? Also, what to do with my puck chlorinator? I can leave that connected as well? Thank you,

Oscar.

You can leave the mineral cartridge in there as long as it is depleted. Same with the inline chlorinator, that can come in handy when you go on vacation.

Do you have a proper test kit? If so, list the name/model in your signature.

Late May. Once your pool water temperature gets to near 60F, it is best to open then or have an issue with algae.

I may not be the best person to answer this question since I don't close my pool for the winter, but my understanding is that you do the following:

1. Do the usual things to get your equipment back online and water filled to the appropriate level
2. Run the pump for a bit to make sure the water is well mixed
3. Complete a full set of tests for the pool water (FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, CYA, water temp.)
4. Add only what your pool needs based on your test results

Feel free to post your test results and ask any questions here. We are happy to help you!

I may not be the best person to answer this question since I don't close my pool for the winter, but my understanding is that you do the following:

1. Do the usual things to get your equipment back online and water filled to the appropriate level
2. Run the pump for a bit to make sure the water is well mixed
3. Complete a full set of tests for the pool water (FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, CYA, water temp.)
4. Add only what your pool needs based on your test results

Feel free to post your test results and ask any questions here. We are happy to help you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just tried using my 2006c test kit for the first time. My pool is not open, still drained below the skimmer. I just wanted to ask if the numbers seem like I did the tests correct. Can anyone confirm? Is this what it is supposed to look like?
==========================================
Oscar B’s Pool o’ Fun!
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 18500 gallons
------------------------------------------
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 2.0 (10 minutes ago)
CC: 0.4 (10 minutes ago)
pH: 8.0 (10 minutes ago)
TA: 110 (10 minutes ago)
CH: 130 (10 minutes ago)
CYA: 100 (10 minutes ago)
TEMPERATURE: 60° (10 minutes ago)
CSI: -0.16 (10 minutes ago)
==========================================

Tests look OK.

I agree on the CYA - and - it is known that colder water depresses the actual CYA reading. So be sure to let the water warm to above 70F. To see how much above 100 your CYA is, follow Step 8 in CYA test directions.

You can also use a 10 ml water sample for FC testing. Use one scoop of powder and each drop of reagent to clear is equal to 0.5 ppm FC.

Small world! At the Telford all the time! You are right about the cya. It was the most awkward test in all of them. I still have to actually fill my pool, it’s down below the skimmer, so I’m hoping that will bring it down quite a bit. After all, the Cya is what brought me here last summer - it was a miserable pool season! Thank you for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.