starting up for summer with algae problem

Sep 5, 2017
Gray, Ga
Hello everyone and hope you are having a great weekend! It is start up time after months of very cold and rainy weather. Seeing a brownish coating on deep end and spotty patches in shallow end. I have been initiating SLAM for the last two days and seeing some results but here are my current numbers:
FC=1
CC=0
CH=275 (we have concrete steps but vinyl liner)
TA=100
CYA=50
Salt level had dropped to 2800 so we added a 40lb bag. It is now up to 2900 but are you supposed to add salt before or after SLAM? I am confused as to how to determine if the SWG is not producing enough chlorine. The service light is not on so I am assuming everything is ok. Chlorination set at 70% and still having to SLAM to deal with this algae. Any suggestions? Its 85 degrees and very sunny here today.

Thanks so much Uncle Salty...I managed to figure that out after I made the post lol! I turned it to zero and have been slamming for 4 days and it seems the algae is finally under control with just a few patches here and there. I tested today and my numbers are:
FC=7
CC=0
CH=275
TA=100
CYA=55
PH=8.2
I know PH is high so I have added muriatic acid. My question is, the salt reading is 2900 and I think the optimum is 3100. When do I add salt? When I do will it make the chlorine level too high? Salt level has remained at 2900 since starting SLAM.

Saltychick,

As long as your SWG has no low salt light you’re making chlorine. I would recommend getting the K-1766 salt test kit so you know what your actual salt level is.

Did you pass all criteria for completion of your SLAM?

Salty

I have clear water but I haven't done the chlorine drop test..it is supposed to be done after sun down right? I have the TK kit but it isn't for salt water. Refresh me but I test for chlorine drop and combined chlorine right?