Starting up brand new above ground pool

BCoburn

Apr 16, 2019
Virginia
Good afternoon,

I have been reading a lot of good advice and learning about pool chemistry this week on the forum. I have taken my water to the pool store for testing while I wait for my test kit (Taylor K-2005, ordered before I read the advice on this forum-I hope it is okay). The pool was filled with about 1/2 water from my well and 1/2 water trucked in last Saturday.

I work all week so I needed to wait until this Saturday (and my wetsuit!) to put in my 400 lbs of salt to start up the salt water generator because I need to have some time for the salt to be swept around to dissolve.

My water stats are: fc 3.0 cc 0, pH 7.4, ta 80, ch 0, cya 0, salt 0, temp today 72.

The pool store guy had me put a puck of chlorine with stabilizer in the skimmer and add two lbs of shock with stabilized. So far the water is staying clear but I need to get things adjusted and fully up and running soon.

I am nervous about the set up process and water chemistry adjustments needed for the salt water generator.

Could someone give me a step by step for Saturday morning with my eight 50 lb bags of salt? I have plenty of other products on hand for chemistry adjustments but need to know the proper order to get the system going. Thank you very much for all of your kind advice and for this great forum!

What salt test do you have?

Problem with the K-2005 test is it does not have the FAS/DPD test that lets you test for FC levels over 10. If you can change to the K-2006C you should. or you can buy the FAS/DPD chlorine test separately- FAS/DPD Chlorine & CC's test .

If you can return the K-2005 then do that and get the TF-100 Test Kits which is a better value. See Test Kits Compared - Trouble Free Pool

Last edited:
Test kit came today and can’t return now but I did get the taylor K1766 salt water test kit also separately. I will order the chlorine test kit above that you recommend and then order the tf-100 soon. Thank you for the test kit advice. Wish I had found the forum sooner!

Test kit came today and can’t return now but I did get the taylor K1766 salt water test kit also separately. I will order the chlorine test kit above that you recommend and then order the tf-100 soon. Thank you for the test kit advice. Wish I had found the forum sooner!

Just get the FAS/DPD test. You then have all the pieces that are in the TF-100. When you run out of reagents youc an order refills form TFT.

Add 280 lbs of salt and let it dissolve and circulate with your pump running 24/7 for a few days. Then check your salt level with your K-1766. Then add one 40lbs bag at a time, let it dissolve and circulate for a few days, and check again. Repeat until your slat level is above 3000.

Get granular stabilizer and put it in an old sock and dangle it in front of a return or put it in your skimmer without blcoking teh water flow. Squeeze the sock every hour or so. You will need about 10 lbs. Add about 7lbs and do like with teh salt. Let it dissolve and circulate for a few days and test your CYA level, Repeat until you have CYA around 70.

Check FC daily and follow the FC/CYA Levels to maintain your FC level using liquid chlorine until you get your SWG running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.