ajcoxfamily

Jul 30, 2022
Katy Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We had really high CYA so we drained and refilled and got rid of the pool guy. I’ve been testing with my Taylor 2006K Kit this past month and maintaining it myself. Here are my test results from today. I’m unsure if I should just leave it as is or make some adjustments.
1. Should I increase calcium more or is this acceptable?
2. How do I lower ph to 7.6 without lowering my alkalinity more or just leave at 7.8?
3. And at what point should I add borates if at all?
Any other suggestions?
Water temp: 72F
17k gallons
FC: 2ppm
Ph: 7.8
Total Alkalinity: 80
Calcium: 240
Cya: 35
Thank you I’m advance for your expertise!

Good job testing your own water. :goodjob: Here's what I would do:
- Increase the FC to about 4-5 ppm and never let it fall below 3.
- If your pH goes over 7.8, then lower it a little. But 7.8 is fine.
- TA is fine
- CH is a tad low if this is a plaster pool. Add about 30-40 ppm of calcium and you should be fine.
- I wouldn't worry about borates for quite some time until you are more comfortable with your chemistry.

Don't forget to update your signature. See mine as an example. Be sure to use the PoolMath APP which can be a big help as well.

1. Should I increase calcium more or is this acceptable?
What type of pool do you have?
2. How do I lower ph to 7.6 without lowering my alkalinity more or just leave at 7.8?
Leave it. Any pH with a 7 in front is fine.
3. And at what point should I add borates if at all?
Why do you want to add borates?

FC: 2ppm
Ph: 7.8
Total Alkalinity: 80
Calcium: 240
Cya: 35
Your FC is low...ALWAYS follow this chart. Link -->FC/CYA Levels Let's get some liquid chlorine in there TODAY. Get FC up to 5-7 and keep it there. How are you chlorinating today (Liquid Chlorine, pucks, SWCG)?

As for CYA, we only measure on the lines. Fill to line, check, fill to next line, check. Your CYA, for practical purposes is 40.

Reactions: ajcoxfamily
Good job testing your own water. :goodjob: Here's what I would do:
- Increase the FC to about 4-5 ppm and never let it fall below 3.
- If your pH goes over 7.8, then lower it a little. But 7.8 is fine.
- TA is fine
- CH is a tad low if this is a plaster pool. Add about 30-40 ppm of calcium and you should be fine.
- I wouldn't worry about borates for quite some time until you are more comfortable with your chemistry.

Don't forget to update your signature. See mine as an example. Be sure to use the PoolMath APP which can be a big help as well.
Thanks! It’s a plaster with pebble finish.

What type of pool do you have?

Leave it. Any pH with a 7 in front is fine.

Why do you want to add borates?

Your FC is low...ALWAYS follow this chart. Link -->FC/CYA Levels Let's get some liquid chlorine in there TODAY. Get FC up to 5-7 and keep it there. How are you chlorinating today (Liquid Chlorine, pucks, SWCG)?

As for CYA, we only measure on the lines. Fill to line, check, fill to next line, check. Your CYA, for practical purposes is 40.
Very helpful tips. Thanks! I’ve read FC should be 2-4. Is that not accurate?
It’s a plaster pool.
I’ve ready if you add borates once it’s perfectly balanced it helps to keep it in balance easier and also makes your hair and skin feel softer when in the chlorine pool.

On the pool math app it’s asking what chemical I’m using for chlorine but I’m not sure what this one is as I don’t see a sodium hypochlorite as an option.

Attachments

• 6491EAD8-7B28-4286-80F8-157A5AA56DAB.jpeg
    6491EAD8-7B28-4286-80F8-157A5AA56DAB.jpeg
    331.2 KB · Views: 2
Very helpful tips. Thanks! I’ve read FC should be 2-4. Is that not accurate?
It’s a plaster pool.
I’ve ready if you add borates once it’s perfectly balanced it helps to keep it in balance easier and also makes your hair and skin feel softer when in the chlorine pool.
The 2-4ppm is only if you have no CYA or very little, and is somewhat outdated info. Follow the CYA chart linked above as the safe chlorine level is directly tied to the CYA level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.