Starting over with a new pool

May 25, 2018
Meridian, MS
Hi all! Last year was a terrible year for our pool, between chemical balancing issues, to cloudiness, to the frame caving. So.... we purchased a used frame this year, and a new liner/gaskets and we are getting ready to put it up this week!! I want to do things right from the very beginning this year (we didn’t find this forum until 1/2 way through the summer season last year) so any advice would be greatly appreciated!! We have a round 24’ pool from Blue World Pools and will be filling it with our water hose. I’ve tested the water from the hose to see where we are at to begin with so that I can have everything I need in hand. Here are the results:

FC/CC - 0
CH - 50
PH - 7.6
TA - 120
CYA - 0

So what is the best thing for me to begin with? CYA and then liquid Chlorine?

TIA!!

Once you have water high enough to circulate, get a sock soaking with stabilizer for a CYA goal of at least 30. This time of year, maybe even start with 40 to protect the chlorine from the hot sun. On day 1, increase the FC to 3 ppm with chlorine (aka regular bleach). At day 2 and beyond, maintain the FC level according to the FC/CYA Levels. Finally, adjust the pH to the mid 7s if it went above 7.8. A low CH won't apply to you, and the TA can always be addressed later "if" it gets too high. Hope that helps.

Oh, one last thing .... not on a well are you? If so, consider pre-filtering as much iron as you can and perhaps have a sequestrant ready. If it doesn't apply, that's good.
Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Once you have water high enough to circulate, get a sock soaking with stabilizer for a CYA goal of at least 30. This time of year, maybe even start with 40 to protect the chlorine from the hot sun. On day 1, increase the FC to 3 ppm with chlorine (aka regular bleach). At day 2 and beyond, maintain the FC level according to the FC/CYA Levels. Finally, adjust the pH to the mid 7s if it went above 7.8. A low CH won't apply to you, and the TA can always be addressed later "if" it gets too high. Hope that helps.

Oh, one last thing .... not on a well are you? If so, consider pre-filtering as much iron as you can and perhaps have a sequestrant ready. If it doesn't apply, that's good.

Thank you so much! That helps greatly. And no, we are not on well water ??

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.