Starting a new pool "Skimmer elevation issues. Is this an acceptable adjustment”

I have another SPA plumbing related question. Is there a way to calculate the Gallons per min neccessary to get flows over the SPA spillway?

Getting close to starting our pool project. We thought about allowing access to rear through our RV garage to save costs. We have paver driveway and an epoxy floor in the garage. What would be best way to protect the driveway and floor from damage? Bids are for the use of a 72” Bobcat. Not sure if it’s wheeled or tracked.

I see more often wheeled units than tracked, most common method is a layer of soil covering the path. With the high number of trips plywood won’t hold up. This only helps to protect the surface from markings and will provide no protection from any possible cracking or settling of the concrete. A large steel plate is used at the location where the tractor will spin directions to head back for another load.

I see more often wheeled units than tracked, most common method is a layer of soil covering the path.
Thanks for the response. I also found a post where they used old carpet to cover floor and driveway. With the potential of damage and the extra cleanup associated with using the RV garage I am leaning to access through side yard now. If the gate and block wall is removed they will have 75” opening. I do have one question about using side yard. That side has the utilities and will be where the equipment will be placed. Will that create an issue?

I asked for bid using side yard access it was an additional $375 plus the cost to rebuild the wall. Worth it considering the potential of damage to epoxy floor and paver driveway. Now a new question. Where should the bond beam height be referenced from? I was thinking of having it match the height of the outer edge of the concrete slab on the covered patio. Would that place the pool too high when coping is added?

Not quite sure if I understand your question completely.
I have the pool elevation (+0’) set same elevation as the nearest deck work so the pool will be higher than the deck (thickness of the coping) so water runoff will flow away from the pool the same as deck work flows away from the house. This gets more challenging the closer the pool is to existing flat work.
Shooting the pool elevation too low in conjunction with the existing deck elevation creates problems. Hope this answers your question.

Reactions: colonelkirby
Sorry I was confusing with the question. From my reading on the subject I know you want pool elevated to keep water flowing away from pool. The house is 5’ from coping patio is 3’ I seen plans on this site but I do not see elevations reference listed. Do the excavators figure it out when they arrive? Am I overthinking it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, the excavator will figure out the finished elevation of the pool but he needs to know the thickness of the coping.
5’ is fairly close so he may want to go with the top of the bond beam at half of the thickness of the coping.
I never see it as overthinking, I see it as educating yourself on the matter.

It appears that the coping may be as close as 3’1”?
Yes that is closest point. Ok before excavation we will need to finalize the coping thickness we will be using. We are thinking of Travertine or pavers over existing patio so I guess that will impact the measurements also. Would the plumbing drain standard of 1/4”-1’ apply the slope from pool and patio towards linear drain. We are fighting with the HOA on pool setback. It will give us time to finalize choices. Thanks for the advise.

In the process of getting bids. Electrical bids came with 2 pumps. I am confused on having serarate Pool and SPA pumps. I read that separate pumps allow less restriction by bypassing filter and heater in SPA mode. How is the SPA heated if you are bypassing the heater, and how is Spillover mode activated? I was only planning 6 Jets not sure I need a 2nd pump. I need to get these details worked out before I get plumbing bids. Thanks for the assistance so far. BTW AQUA~HOLICS I moved pool further away from Patio to help slope issues, it made better use of the space.

First pump is for the entire pool/spa circulation system amd the second pump is only for the spa jets. The spa jets are on a closed loop to the second pump only. Spa will contain 2 sets of drains - one pair for the spa jet pump and one pair for the main pool/spa circulation pump. The spa will also have one or more returns from the pool/spa circulation system, in addition to the spa jets connected to the spa jet pump.

Heater bypass is used when you don't need heat for the pool or spa. If you are using the heater, the heater bypass is set to allow water to flow thru the heater.

Spillover mode will take water from the pool and return it to the spa, thereby allowing the spa to spill over into the pool. You don't use spillover mode when heating only the spa. Spillover mode is activated by the automation. You use spillover mode when you want to view the spill over effect - or twice daily for 15-ish minutes to refresh the spa water.

First pump is for the entire pool/spa circulation system amd the second pump is only for the spa jets. The spa jets are on a closed loop to the second pump only. Spa will contain 2 sets of drains - one pair for the spa jet pump and one pair for the main pool/spa circulation pump. The spa will also have one or more returns from the pool/spa circulation system, in addition to the spa jets connected to the spa jet pump.

Heater bypass is used when you don't need heat for the pool or spa. If you are using the heater, the heater bypass is set to allow water to flow thru the heater.

Spillover mode will take water from the pool and return it to the spa, thereby allowing the spa to spill over into the pool. You don't use spillover mode when heating only the spa. Spillover mode is activated by the automation. You use spillover mode when you want to view the spill over effect - or twice daily for 15-ish minutes to refresh the spa water.
I understand the need for 2 drains in spa and separate returns. Is there a need for the additional pump? Pump is rated at 130 GPM, Filter is rated at 150 GPM and Heater is rated at 120 GPM Max then they recommend adding bypass. Other than needing to run pumps at same time which I do not see the need for 2 pumps. I there a case to be made for 2?

Most of the pools I've seen in the Phoenix area have two pumps if they have an attached spa.
You will get better jet action with a separate (un-filtered) spa pump to power the spa jets. The filter and heater - more the heater - will reduce the flow. You don't want to run in-filtered water thru the heater and pool/spa circulation system.

Some I've seen use the same VS pump for both locations. That way, if/when the main pump fails, they can easily swap the pumps while waiting for a new pump or repair.

The rated flow rate and what you will actually see are way different. Your plumbing and equipment will reduce the flow from the rated amount.

Reactions: StuartBound
Most of the pools I've seen in the Phoenix area have two pumps if they have an attached spa.
You will get better jet action with a separate (un-filtered) spa pump to power the spa jets. The filter and heater - more the heater - will reduce the flow. You don't want to run in-filtered water thru the heater and pool/spa circulation system.
Our neighbor just finished plaster yesterday, their builder added 2 pumps. All my pool bids from builders had just 1 pump guess to cut costs. The extra pump and associated plumping does not add much considering the overall cost of the pool. Probably add 2 returns to SPA and another set of drains. Would you need any additional automation valves running 2 pump setup?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support