Morganville, NJ
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hey All,

New to pool ownership, and have really enjoyed reviewing all the forums/pool school. I just started my SLAM process on Saturday (on day 3 currently) and at the start, I was having to add chlorine in about every 4 hours or so to maintain shock level.

Test Results at start of SLAM:
FC - 0.5
CC - 0.5
CYA - 50
pH - 7.5
TA - 70

Shock level I am maintaining is 20ppm.

Last night, I tested and was at 28 FC / CC-2.5, so did not add any. At 9:30 this morning, my FC was still at 23, with CC at 2.5, and just repeated test now, and levels are the same.

I know that my FC last night was high, and thats a result of me adding more chlorine than needed (used a full gallon instead of measuring the required amount based on poolmath) but shouldn't I see a drop in levels at least by now? It has been 15 hours since the reading last night.

Weather yesterday and today has been rainy and overcast, so not sure if the lack of sun has anything to do with it.

As a side note, I am definitely seeing progress, although not as fast as I would like haha. Picture of pool as of today attached. The pool started as a brown swamp that has been abandoned for about 5 years uncovered. Brush daily, still can't see bottom, but vacuumed up some more sediment today. Wanting to see if the bottom was still covered, I put the GoPro in daily as well to check how it looks, and most of the sediment/leaves are now gone. All really left is really clumps of algae (floating and some settled on floor)

I personally would love a memorial day pool opening, or at the latest a June 1 opening, so holding hopeful to see clear water soon!

Appreciate the help/advice along the way!

Attachments

• 20190513_114912.jpg
    20190513_114912.jpg
    567 KB · Views: 9
Stay the course. Your high CC is indicating the chlorine is eating organics.
A sand filter will take a while to clear the pool. Have patience!
Be sure to post here before you do anything drastic and also when you get to Crystal Clear. I suspect you will be swimming Memorial Day, if the water is warm enough!

Take care.

Looks like you're almost there! Keep brushing, vacuuming, and maintaining a good high FC level until all 3 requirements for completing the SLAM are met! You've done really well so far!

It takes lots of patience and time. Don't worry :)

and chlorine...... patience, time, and chlorine.....

my recycling guy is going to think I have something shady going on in my house with the amount of bleach bottles going out! haha

Reactions: Susiejax
Stay the course. Your high CC is indicating the chlorine is eating organics.
A sand filter will take a while to clear the pool. Have patience!
Be sure to post here before you do anything drastic and also when you get to Crystal Clear. I suspect you will be swimming Memorial Day, if the water is warm enough!

Take care.

Thanks - I saw some mention adding DE to a sand filter could help it along - is there any value to that, or sand will work just fine?

Thanks - I saw some mention adding DE to a sand filter could help it along - is there any value to that, or sand will work just fine?
Eventually you can try the DE. See Pool School for the process. But wait until your FC loss is minimal and CC numbers are 0.5 or less.

If you wish to add DE to your filter, do it when you're going to be around to keep an eye on things, because it'll load up fast and need backwashing. Could be less than an hour. And you'll lose all the DE so you 'll have to add more after backwashing. Lots of water and lots of time. Three days is not long in the SLAM realm. I'd leave it as-is for another day or two and then maybe try the DE. In the meantime, ask around. Find someone with a DE filter, or flag down a pool service truck, and beg or buy a few cups' worth.

For the jugs.... do you know any preschool teachers? They might have a craftsy use for them, even if it's nothing more than cutting them down into small buckets for mixing fingerpaint.

If you wish to add DE to your filter, do it when you're going to be around to keep an eye on things, because it'll load up fast and need backwashing. Could be less than an hour. And you'll lose all the DE so you 'll have to add more after backwashing. Lots of water and lots of time. Three days is not long in the SLAM realm. I'd leave it as-is for another day or two and then maybe try the DE. In the meantime, ask around. Find someone with a DE filter, or flag down a pool service truck, and beg or buy a few cups' worth.

For the jugs.... do you know any preschool teachers? They might have a craftsy use for them, even if it's nothing more than cutting them down into small buckets for mixing fingerpaint.

Good idea on both parts! Will need to check into them. I am going to stick the course for now, and see how it goes with the SLAM as is. I know 3 days isn't much and this takes time!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Go ahead and take those ladders out, they probably have a bunch of algae in them. Pool light too, if there is one.

Haven't tried getting the ladders out yet. Been brushing around them. A little algae at the bottom, but won't be sure until they are out. No clue if the pool has lights or not. Have never seen more than a few inches down since we bought the house. excited to see!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.