Start up SLAM

Lizbethmcq

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2014
Parkesburg PA
First time doing a SLAM, just opened the pool yesterday afternoon - after vacuuming most of the Crud and brushing many of the surfaces (still need to do more), I did initial water testing with my TF-100 kit:

Fiberglass / SWCG pool
FC = 0.0
TA = 50
CYA = 50
pH = 7.2
CH = 100
Salt = 2000
Water Temp = 58

Currently have filter running 24/7 and SWCG turned off. So my questions are:

1. Current water level is above the skimmers, should I lower before doing the SLAM or leave until balanced?
2. From what I have read it sounds like I should add the additional Dry Stabilizer to get my CYA up to the ideal range of 70-80 for my pool but go ahead and start the SLAM not wait for the level to rise?
3. Pool school says I should add liquid bleach to a SLAM target of 20 which is the amount for CYA 50 in a regular pool, should I follow that or change to the amount to raise it to 28 as recommended for a SWCG in the ideal CYA range?
4. Don't need to worry about CH being low until after everything is balanced correct?
5. Since the SWCG is not running I don't need to add salt yet correct?
6. At what point do I need to turn the SWCG back on and add the salt?
7. Should I add the baking soda to raise TA now or wait?

SLAM is the word of the day. To your questions:
1 - You probably cannot vacuum to waste with a cart filter, so with water that high your skimmers can't pull-in junk off the surface. Might not hurt to lower it just a little if you can.
2 - Wait on the stabilizer until AFTER the SLAM is complete. A CYA of 50 means your FC SLAM level is 20. Later, you can increase the CYA to 70.
3 - For a SLAM, we increase the FC to the current CYA regardless of a salt or non-salt pool.
4 - Correct
5 - Correct
6 - Once the SLAM is complete.
7 - Wait.

Let us know if you have more questions. :)

SLAM is the word of the day. To your questions:
1 - You probably cannot vacuum to waste with a cart filter, so with water that high your skimmers can't pull-in junk off the surface. Might not hurt to lower it just a little if you can.
2 - Wait on the stabilizer until AFTER the SLAM is complete. A CYA of 50 means your FC SLAM level is 20. Later, you can increase the CYA to 70.
3 - For a SLAM, we increase the FC to the current CYA regardless of a salt or non-salt pool.
4 - Correct
5 - Correct
6 - Once the SLAM is complete.
7 - Wait.

Let us know if you have more questions. :)
Thank you so much!

So I have been working on this since last Thursday, pool looks beautiful, clean sparkling and clear. I have added almost 12 gal of 10% liquid chlorine over this period - but I'm still failing the OCLT. Last night FC was at 23 and this morning at 17.5. I have brushed everything multiple times daily, including all the returns, filter boxes, corners, steps, etc. - any other thoughts? My pool is in full sun from sunrise (5:30 am) to sunset (8:20 pm) sun was off the pool but not set when I tested last night at 7:17 pm and I didn't get to it until 7:44 am this morning would that be enough sun to account for the 5.5 loss in FC? I'm not sure what more I should be doing?

Looks nice! :wave: Other than the OCLT losing FC, I would check the following:
- If you have a large pool light, check behind it in the niche. Disregard if you have the smaller LED lights.
- That ladder has me concerned. Are you able to remove it? If so, I would and inspect inside the hollow tubes and each step if possible.
- Check each skimmer carefully; the weir doors and under the lid for any growth
- I don't think you have a main drain, but if you do, check in that as well.

That water looks too nice to be much further from completion.

Looks nice! :wave: Other than the OCLT losing FC, I would check the following:
- If you have a large pool light, check behind it in the niche. Disregard if you have the smaller LED lights.
- That ladder has me concerned. Are you able to remove it? If so, I would and inspect inside the hollow tubes and each step if possible.
- Check each skimmer carefully; the weir doors and under the lid for any growth
- I don't think you have a main drain, but if you do, check in that as well.

That water looks too nice to be much further from completion.

Okay, thanks - I didn't think of taking the ladder out - I'll do that. No big light just little LED - I'll scrub the skimmers again just to be safe, no bottom drain. We'll try the OCLT again tonight.

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.