Start up pool chemicals-League City, TX

Krysib

Jun 18, 2020
League city TX
Hi TFP-

I've been lurking and learning a lot during the build of our pool in League City, TX. I've learned a few things we did wrong during our contract phase (not-insisting on SWG), but overall feel we did an excellent job with our first pool design.

With COVID, we have had numerous subcontractor delays and communication issues with our PB, but we are finally doing our clean up and grading today! (Exactly 8 weeks) Unfortunately, despite having first months maintenance included in our contract, the PB cleaner crew is out on a family emergency and cannot clean or maintain the pool until 'sometime' next week.

This is new plaster, just completed and filled on Tuesday. Our decking was ground down and our spray deck applied and in the process the pool is now filled with concrete dust which *may* be affecting the chemicals (not sure on that). I have the first results of water testing and need help to figure out what to do next!

I've had the TFP testing kit for about a month now, and will retest the water to compare results today as soon as the grading crew is finished.

Thanks in advance for your help!

FC 8.02
TC 8.35
TA 43
CYA 14
pH 6.8
CH 132

Last edited:
Congrats on the new pool. :goodjob: Not sure what you mean about "insisting on the SWG" as that should be a goof move, but we can come back to that later. For now, let's wait until you have a chance to post your TF-100 test results. Those pool store test numbers seem a bit suspicious. If you have any questions about how to perform your own tests, just let us know. Also, if you took notes about any products the builder may have already added to the water, let us know that as well when you post back.

Reactions: Krysib
Hi Texas Splash!

Thanks for the reply! I will post my new numbers this afternoon! As for the SWG-what I meant was that I should've insisted on a SWG (edited my OP). When we were interviewing PB they all talked me out of it. After reading the forums I see that is a common thing. So one of my mistakes during the contract phase was not forcing including a SWG and we ending up with just the in-line cholorinator.

I've already researched the SWG to purchase though and feel like it will end up being less expensive to add later anyway!

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas Splash
Hey Krysib,

I’m in League City too! One thing you need to do right away is head to Walmart and load up on some jugs of Pool Essentials bleach. Get as many as you can b/c you’ll need them without a SWG. I like to dilute my chemicals before I add them so it would be a bad idea to have a 5-gallon bucket and a measuring cup. You’ll also need some CYA(aka stabilizer), some calcium hardener, and one of the big bags of Arm & Hammer baking soda(also in the pool section at Walmart) to get your pool chemicals balanced.

I like to dilute my chemicals before I add them
Please do not do that. It is more dangerous to double handle acid and chlorine. Simply lower the jug to the pool water level at a pool return with pump running and slowly add the amount of chemical you need.

Reactions: HermanTX and Krysib
OK, so new TF-100 kit results:

FC 2.5 (Double checked with K-1000 at got same result)
CC 0
TC 2.5
TA 50
CYA <20
pH 7.2
CH 200

Looks pretty good, but need to bring up the CYA here in TX. However, PB said to focus on Ph/Alkalinity and Chlorine but not to add calcium or conditioner until about 6 weeks.
Should I be concerned that pool store water test yesterday said TC 8 and TF-100 test today said 2.5? Could I be loosing that much chlorine in a day with new plaster and virtually no CYA?

The half life of chlorine in a pool with little or no CYA in the sun is 50 minutes. So yes, you will consume a huge amount of chlorine without stabilizer. After the first few days, you should get at least 30 to 40 ppm CYA in the water.

The half life of chlorine in a pool with little or no CYA in the sun is 50 minutes. So yes, you will consume a huge amount of chlorine without stabilizer. After the first few days, you should get at least 30 to 40 ppm CYA in the water.

Thanks mknauss!! So I should ignore what the PB said and go ahead and add CYA per pool math? Plaster was on Tuesday and we filled it overnight-full by Wednesday 7am.

Hard to tell you to ignore the PB. Are they using tablets in the pool right now? If so, those are adding stabilizer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds to me like the PB does not care.

I would add 20 ppm CYA right now. And stop using the tablets. Use liquid chlorine. And plan to install a SWCG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.