Stand Alone Water Softener - AZ Life

Cobrarat

Jun 2, 2021
Queen Creek Arizona
I researched the site but did not find a definitive answer or help on installing a stand alone water softener to the fill line of a swimming pool. I was looking at installing a Rheem single softener unit to help with the hardness here in Arizona. After year 2 my pool is over 600 hardness and the water out here in the desert is so harsh. I have a Softener on my house and it works great but there is no way (without great expense) to tap into it. The unit I was looking at was a Rheem 32K unit and could easily be integrated into my system for $300. Any thoughts on this, or other methods used in AZ to control hardness would be appreciated.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbin...Water-Softener-Systems/Rheem/N-5yc1vZc6sbZ7i0

That will work as long as you have a place for the waste effluent from the softener to go. Also if outside be sure to shade the unit from direct sunlight.

I thought i read somewhere some members use units designed for RVs - either softeners or RO type…

Just a thought

We have PEX plumbing that runs through the attic... yes our cold water runs through our 150 degree attic... anyway, I would need to tap into the PEX and then run a line to the outside of the house, on the other side of my house where the pool equipment is. When we had the house built we have a dedicated softener loop that just services inside of the house, all of my outside water bibs are straight city water and bypass the softener.

Thanks for the responses, I think this is a go project! I will post the chemistry before and after with pics so we can all learn!

Side Note.. I just purchased a Glacier Pool Chiller and would this have an effect on increasing the hardness faster with the evaporation rates increasing? our pool is currently 92 degrees.

Side Note.. I just purchased a Glacier Pool Chiller and would this have an effect on increasing the hardness faster with the evaporation rates increasing? our pool is currently 92 degrees.
Very much so. The chiller is a Swamp Cooler for your pool. It uses evaporation to cool the water. Very good idea to start using soft water for make up water.

I thought i read somewhere some members use units designed for RVs - either softeners or RO type…

Just a thought
@mknauss and I use RV softeners, Check the link in my sig. They are less than optimal since they require frequent manual flushing (regeneration). I would love to have a standalone automatic unit, but my backyard layout makes it nearly impossible.

have you considered running a line outside the house? Tapping at nearest point and going out and then running sprinkler pvc in the ground to the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also use the RV softener. I discovered it from Rancho and MK. Below is the one I have. It’s a bit burdensome to recharge it but it works. If I did it again I’d buy the bigger one.
On The Go OTG4-VM-DBLSOFT... Amazon.com

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Local regs here prohibit discharge into storm drains and sewer. Other option is to drain onto the land, but I'm concerned about long-term effects. Still pondering while I get by with the RV softener. I can get about 4-6 weeks (1,000-1,500 gallons) out of my unit before I need to flush. Tap water is 125 ppm. The softener takes it down to less than 10 ppm. I let it go to 2,000+ gallons recently since my CH is low now. @2,000 gallons, Softened CH was around 75 ppm.

Any thoughts on this, or other methods used in AZ to control hardness would be appreciated.
I installed the 42k about a year ago, working great and no issue whatsoever. Since my CH is not as high as Colorado river water, i do my maintenance phosphoric every year. Did it last week. No issues. I used a second micron filter after the softener because of some stories about the media disintegrating and reaching the hardware in the house.

F9F5F28F-F780-4589-916C-091E802051CA.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.