Stair riser question

KRP123

Bronze Supporter
Apr 9, 2018
LI, NY
In the middle of a 28 x 48 inground pool build. I’ve measured the poured concrete steps and am alittle confused
There are 3 risers at the shallow end
Riser 1 is 9 3/4” to top of beam
Riser 2 is 9 3/4”
Riser 3 is 11”
The coping I’m using is 1 1/2” thick so effectively Riser 1 is 11 1/4”
I explained this to the contractors office and she said “in Water that’s fine”.I’m just wondering
1-don’t they all have to be equal in rise to code?
2-Wont you feel the difference in rise
3-Am I being picky
Thankyou for any help

KRP, I see your post from yesterday about the step height, so I suspect time is of the essence for you. I personally am not aware of a step code requirement, but that's not necessarily my area of expertise either. Let's give this thread a quick :bump: for more visibility to see if anyone in the audience is aware of something we're not. Good luck!

For reasons I can’t easily put into words, I really would have no concerns with those step heights in my pool.

In a normal set of stairs all risers need to be the same, in a pool I don’t know. Not sure how much you would notice in water, I think it would be the same. Either way it was
a poorly layed out design. Better to fix it while it’s somewhat do able, rather than finished and you hate it.

Thanks for reply’s. They basically screwed up by using a 2x12 form for the bottom step and a 2x10 for the middle step. (Hence the 1 1/2” variation). Ive walked it enough and decided to look past what most people won’t notice. It will meet local code - time to move on

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.